Default Canadian moms - what sunscreen?

I've been reading all the sunscreen posts in the Lounge and now I'm worried about the type of sunscreen we've been using (Ombrelle). It was recommended by the dermatologist we saw for DS's eczema when he was a baby but I looked at the bottle we had from last summer and it contains oxybenzone. The newer bottle of adult Ombrelle has avobenzone instead. I'm not sure if the formulation has changed for kids as well.

What do you use? I'm not sure which (if any) of the sunscreens recommended in the Lounge are available here.

TIA.

UPDATE: Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions. Sorry I haven't posted back before now but we've all had terrible colds so yesterday was the first time I was able to get to the health food store. I ended up picking up the Green Beaver Kids sunscreen. I put it on DS this morning and he says he likes it! I agree with sweet pea - it's easy to rub in and non-whitening, though it does seem to be a bit greasy/oily.
    Last edited by moosemama; 06-16-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: update

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd be interested in hearing this, too!

In the past, I've ordered some brands with good reputations online, like Blue Lizard (can't recall where from), and TruKid (from Rocky Mountain Baby, a Cdn retailer). A couple of summers ago, Neutrogena Baby Pure & Free was easy to find at places like London Drugs or Shoppers, but it turns out to be not rated that well by the EWG folks. I've also seen the California Baby products at organic/healthfood stores in Alberta, though I can't recall if the suncreen was there.

I'm hunting down a new physical block, and learning towards ordering from Purple Prairie from the US (unless someone else here has a great recommendation). I usually supplement with Kinesysis Kids Spray Sunscreen - it's a chemical sunscreen, there are situations for which I am glad that I have it handy. I've bought it at drug stores again, and even at Costco.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

I was just researching this. Seems like in the US it's relatively easy to find Coppertone Pure and Simple, which is not the greatest, but better than most regular drugstore sunscreens, but haven't found it here yet. I would check some health food stores in your area, if they also carry personal care items. Mine had sunscreen by Badger, Alba (only two of their sunscreens rate well), Green Beaver, and several other brands which I can't remember. However, I'd still check to see how they rate because some sunscreens, even though they are physical and sold at the health food store, still don't get a good rating. I didn't get the Badger since I've heard it has quite a strong scent and I'm very sensitive to that, but I did get the Green Beaver (made in Canada). It rates a 1 according to the EWG, which is great! It's non-whitening and not too thick, so it was easier to apply to a squirming toddler than some other physical sunscreens I've tried. I found it somewhat greasy-feeling, but it did seem to moisturize my skin well after use. Although it's supposed to be fragrance-free, it did have a bit of a scent that lingered on clothing, but nothing too strong. All in all, I was pleased with it, although it's $$$. I saw it online at well.ca, and it's on sale until Monday. Haven't bought from that website yet, although I might in the future as they have some products I'm having a hard time locating in B&M stores. That site also has some other brands of physical sunscreen. HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_pea View Post
    I was just researching this. Seems like in the US it's relatively easy to find Coppertone Pure and Simple, which is not the greatest, but better than most regular drugstore sunscreens, but haven't found it here yet!
    Ugh! I was hoping that the Coppertone Pure and Simple would be one of the easier products to find!
    ~ Laura

well.ca sells some of the brands that are well liked here. Also, if you're in the Vancouver or TO area you can find some of them at Whole Foods. You can find some of them at Belly Laughs as well. I have not found a good Canadian supplier of Blue Lizard or California Baby.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

I was window-shopping on the California Baby website last night, and noticed that they having a section in their FAQ that is actually titled "Why Can't I Find Your Products in Canada Anymore?" - it's been awhile since I've looked, obviously, since I didn't realize that there was a problem!

California Baby responded that they are able to ship over the border (via UPS) and also that Drugstore.com will ship via USPS (so probably cheaper shipping).
    ~ Laura

Default update in post 1

update in post 1

Quote Originally Posted by moosemama View Post
    I ended up picking up the Green Beaver Kids sunscreen. I put it on DS this morning and he says he likes it! I agree with sweet pea - it's easy to rub in and non-whitening, though it does seem to be a bit greasy/oily.
    Glad it worked for you!