Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I worked up until the day I delivered with my first two. Even went straight to the hospital from work with #2. I wanted as much time off as possible after the birth. With my third, I ended up having a scheduled c-section so I chose to make my last day the Friday before (the section was scheduled for Wednesday) so I only had to use 2 vacation days.

I really did this because he was big and I was so uncomfortable I just couldn't make the drive (35 miles one way) and do the job any more. I could barely move!! It ended up only being 1 vacation day because I went into labor on the Tuesday before the scheduled C.
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

I worked until the day before DS was born, but labor started early in the AM for me, so I knew I'd be having a baby that day. But I'm in a situation where I primarily sit at a desk all day AND I'd be using maternity leave that I'd prefer to use AFTER the baby is born.

My co-worker (pg at the same time) started her leave at 39 weeks I think.

I think you are totally justified in taking leave before the baby comes. If I had that option without losing out on time after the baby was born, I'd probably take leave early, too.

Like PP's said, enjoy the time, get rested up, prepare mentally and physically for the new joy in your life. You deserve it!

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was an 8th grade teacher while pregnant with DD#1 and took my leave starting at 38 weeks. Her due date was in January and I had an hour long commute...I didn't want to go into labor at school or get stuck in a snow situation (in New England). I was, however, worried that I'd be pregnant until 42 weeks and end up "wasting" a month of my leave. It was perfect, however. I went into labor at 39 weeks 4 days so I had a little over a week to relax and get everything ready before the baby arrived. If you're physically not able to do your job, don't feel guilty! You're taking care of yourself and your baby, and you wouldn't be your best at work anyway. Working in schools is VERY physically demanding, I know. Most teachers, psychologists etc are on their feet constantly (especially the good ones ). Sounds like you made a perfect call. You worked as long as you could and made the decision when it felt right to you and when your body needed it. Have an awesome birth!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

With both girls I had planned to be off for just over two weeks prior to my due date. With DD1 I was off two, plus a weekend before I had her, she was 2 weeks early. With DD2 I was off for a week prior to delivery, she was 8 days early.

With DD1 I had a lot of sick leave so I used that to cover the entire pre birth period, plus the 7 weeks after she was born. Then I took 4 weeks of saved vacation, and then took 4 weeks of un paid leave. I went back to work when she was 4 months old.

With DD2 I took a week of sick leave (I had much less by then), then took 6 weeks of SDI, then the 6 weeks of paid family leave, and then two weeks of vacation. I went back to work when DD2 was 3/1/2 months old. I had thought about taking a month off prior to having DD2, but I decided that I needed my full paycheck instead.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Its fact that",in the pregnancy the women should not work heavy because it can effect the
    baby ,but there are many exercises which are good for the growth of the baby

Its very difficult to work after the delivery because our body get rest immediately and we
    should rest after the deliverable

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Serepta View Post
    ok... thanks, you guys make me feel better. I'm lucky to have a job where I'm able to take leave. I'm a bit of a work-a-holic, and extremely hard on myself, so I think that's part of my trouble letting go of work (although it's a lesson I'll have to learn once the baby does arrive!) I think the bigger issue is that now that I'm out of work it's really hitting home for me that, yes, this baby is coming soon. I think I was burying all of my anxiety about birth and stuff (this is my first child) into dealing with work. Now it's like, wow.... I'm having a baby.... yikes!
    It's ok!! Just enjoy the time you have and do things for yourself. I was previously a work-a-holic and calling in sick was like torture for my soul. I finally had to quit because I was just ruining my body and everything else with the stress and the hours. For MONTHS, I just decorated my house, ran errands I never had time to do, cooked... and soon got pregnant

Watch tv and lounge!!!

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

oneontheway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I worked up until the day I had all three of mine but only because I didn't want to start the clock since I only got 12 weeks. If I could of stopped working a few weeks earlier and still had 12 weeks with the baby I would have totally done that. Enjoy and don't feel guilty!!
    DS 2005
    DD 2007
    DS 2010
    and a Junebug in 2013

My boss allowed me to work at home the last "month" of my pregnancy. Month is in quotes because I worked at home exactly one week and then my water broke! I was very grateful for that week, though, because I felt terrible and pretty much stayed in bed with my laptop.
    Beaming mom to DS born 10/20/2010.
    The Force is strong with this one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2