Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Vegetarian During Pregnancy?

Just wondering if anyone has successfully BTDT? I have read lots of different sources that say it is safe so long as I am careful to ensure my diet includes other protein sources and appropriate vitamins, B vitamins, aminos, Omega 3 etc. But I am still worried. Protein is the building blocks for brain and muscle. What if these sources are wrong?????????????????????????????

I am ovo-veg, so I will still get eggs anyway. And I already eat super healthy.

Anyone successfully navigated a vegetarian pregnancy?

The idea of eating meat makes me want to wretch.

And no....I am not pregnant - yet! But we are finally TTC!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Are you a vegetarian or a pescatarian? I am not a vegetarian but I wasn't able to eat chicken at ALL with my first pregnancy. We don't eat a ton of red meat or pork and I can't stand turkey so this sort of made many of our meals meatless. If you currently eat a healthy diet, I would just stick with whatever you are doing. If you need to increase your protein, add in extra helpings of things like fish, quinoa, amaranth, eggs, peanut butter, lentils, beans etc. You can easily add a handful of chickpeas or black beans on a salad or make tons of purees for veggies. I also heavily relied on Wholefoods.com for recipe ideas. Their homemade black bean burgers (we add in additional veggies) are delicious as is the pumpkin mushroom pie (I use a premade whole wheat pie crust). Adding tofu or a handful of spinach to a smoothie adds some instant protein.
    Last edited by ashleybama24; 05-31-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Content

Quote Originally Posted by ashleybama24 View Post
    Are you a vegetarian or a pescatarian? I am not a vegetarian but I wasn't able to eat chicken at ALL with my first pregnancy. We don't eat a ton of red meat or pork and I can't stand turkey so this sort of made many of our meals meatless. If you currently eat a healthy diet, I would just stick with whatever you are doing. If you need to increase your protein, add in extra helpings of things like fish, quinoa, amaranth, eggs, peanut butter, lentils, beans etc. You can easily add a handful of chickpeas or black beans on a salad or make tons of purees for veggies. I also heavily relied on Wholefoods.com for recipe ideas.
    I am a ovo-vegetarian. I do not eat any animal flesh nor animal biproducts except for eggs. I do not eat cows milk dairy at all and rarely use goats milk products.

I am really well educated on how to get extra plant based protein in to my diet and already do so. I am kind of a freak about it actually. I really enjoy vegetarian and vegan cooking and researching nutrition.

But I have been reading that there is some evidence that no matter how healthy the diet, vegetarian mothers have a higher rate of low birth weights and there is some evidence of increased risk of development problems with boy babies reproductive parts. Plant based proteins, no matter how you look at it, are not the same as animal based proteins. And while I believe that healthy adults do not need animal based proteins (unless they exercise strenuously or in to body building, etc), pregnancy is basically building a baby. Thus, protein is needed. And it seems from my reading that really, animal protein is needed.

My concern is that I am not sure I can eat meat - the thought of it makes me want to vomit. I don't actually have an issue with giving up being a vegetarian while pregnant - I am just not sure I *can*. I find no appeal in meat whatsoever anymore.
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My old boss was a vegetarian and had 3 successful pregnancies and has 3 very smart, healthy kids. She did eat cheese and had a grande single shot non fat latte from starbucks every day.

I think if you eat healthy now you should just continue that and find ways to add protein to your diet ... beans/legumes, tofu, quinoa, eggs. I think it's easier for ovo-lacto vegetarians to get the adequate protein and nutrients that you need than if you are vegan.

Good Luck ttc!

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    My old boss was a vegetarian and had 3 successful pregnancies and has 3 very smart, healthy kids. She did eat cheese and had a grande single shot non fat latte from starbucks every day.

I think if you eat healthy now you should just continue that and find ways to add protein to your diet ... beans/legumes, tofu, quinoa, eggs. I think it's easier for ovo-lacto vegetarians to get the adequate protein and nutrients that you need than if you are vegan.

Good Luck ttc!
    Thanks! Yes, I guess the whole 'egg' thing might make a difference for me. And I know the say caffeine is bad, but I used to own a coffee shop when I was pregnant with DD. I was training new employees when I was pregnant with DD - so I *had* to sample their test drinks

Thanks for the encouragement. You hit on something I did not realize was a big underlying concern for me...intelligence.
    ---------
    A-M

---------

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've been a vegetarian for 25 years (I do eat dairy, especially cheese but no meat or fish) , I have an 8 year old that weighed 9lbs at birth (no low birth weight here!). I did not do anything special, I do remember eating alot of spincach but it wasn't really a craving ( I was disappointed to not get any!) You have nothing to worry about, as long as you are careful to eat well and get some protein. DD is in GT class, so pretty smart

Quote Originally Posted by wendmatt View Post
    I've been a vegetarian for 25 years (I do eat dairy, especially cheese but no meat or fish) , I have an 8 year old that weighed 9lbs at birth (no low birth weight here!). I did not do anything special, I do remember eating alot of spincach but it wasn't really a craving ( I was disappointed to not get any!) You have nothing to worry about, as long as you are careful to eat well and get some protein. DD is in GT class, so pretty smart
    Thanks! I was not a vegetarian with DD but had no meat cravings, either. My only cravings were Oranges (first tri), Chocolate Reisen (second tri) and melted cheese (third tri).
    ---------
    A-M

---------

I'm a lifelong vegetarian (lacto-ovo) and have had two healthy babies, DS was 7 lbs, DD was 6 lbs. I just made sure to get plenty of good foods and protein--egg, PB, beans, tofu, almond milk, cheese, etc. And pre-natal vitamins & calcium citrate.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian. My blood work came back fine (iron was their main concern) and my doctor had no concerns with my diet. DD was born small (5lb 6oz) but was IUGR so they took her 3 weeks early. They thought it may have something to do with my job-very long days (12-14 hours) on my feet with few, if any, breaks. Diet was never mentioned as a possible cause. DD is only 5 month old, but I think she is very smart She is on track, both developmentally and growth, and is doing great. Here is a website you may find useful http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health...getarians.aspx

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian and have had 2 successful pregnancies. My second daughter was 10lb so definitely not low weight. (My first was 7lb 6oz, so also not low weight).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast