EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Postal strike - sigh.

First of all, I'm a union supporter, and a union member. This is in no way an attack against the posties...

It's just a b*tch. I *finally* talked myself into ordering a pair of Orthaheel sandals (Lori - the ones with the flower - saw them in the Lounge thread and HAD to have them), and *finally* bit the bullet and ordered a toy that I have not been able to find locally... Needless to say, all of this stuff is probably sitting around the American border, waiting to be picked up by Canada Post.

Hope it doesn't last too long.
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

I too support the posties, but I am so not happy about this strike. I've been watching it closely because I have a small online business and this is not good for me as I cannot really afford to use courier service or charge their rates. Apparently a strike was supposed to happen in May, but did not because of the election. Strike starts tonight at 11:59pm in Winnipeg only for 24 hrs. No clue if it will continue in Winnipeg after that, will be rolling, or what other permutations it might take. You can get updates here: http://www.cupw.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/13068/la_id/1.htm and here: http://clients.infopost.ca/en/2011/0...e-negotiating/ from both sides. Let's hope they start negotiating and get this resolved quickly
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have heard that the strike is supposed to be rotating strikes in different cities, on different days. For essential services (EI, CPP, etc), the cheques will be delivered either by volunteer carriers or managerial (different union?) staff.

to you - I'm sure the prospect of a strike of this nature is upsetting for a small business owner. I sincerely hope it is over quickly.

On a totally selfish note, I work right next door to a postal distribution facility, so I am really hoping the strikers do not block the road where I usually park.
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

Well, most of the people I know that depend on Can. Post have been getting by these past two weeks of rotating strikes, and just coping with slight delays...including me. So, I am grateful for that. I do have a lot of stuff caught in the system now that I'd really like to have, though

Unfortunately, fortunately?, Can. Post admin has just announced a total lockout. Here's hoping that we get some sort of resolution soon! This has been very stressful for alot of people, though I don't know that it's received all that much news coverage. It seems to be on whenever I turn on the radio or tv, but I still run into people that have no idea what I'm talking about when I mention it.

EllasMum, I hope you haven't had to deal with - or will be dealing with - too much fallout from picketing
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton