Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
DD2 reacted exactly the same way to egg whites. Red splotches around the mouth that went away. I asked our ped about it and he called the children's allergist at Children's here who wasn't concerned - just said to give her a little every day. We had the exact same reaction with PB with red splotches around the mouth and did the same thing - a little every day. After a couple of weeks, no more reaction.

Now we have no problems, even if DD2 hasn't eaten egg or PB in several days.

eta: same thing with DD2 and blueberries though the reaction was slightly different - a few hives immediately appeared on the hands and legs. I gave her blueberries again the next day and the hives appeared again, but took longer to appear. Gave them again the 3rd day and fewer hives appeared, and they took even longer to appear. By the 4th or 5th day - no more hives. I did this experiment during the weekdays Today, no reaction even if she hasn't had blueberries in weeks. Interesting...

eta: definitely do anything under the supervision of an allergist. I'm wild and reckless (haha - not) and my gut told me it was fine...but I wouldn't recommend experimenting on your child

This is very interesting, and you make a good point about going with your gut. Even in this thread alone -- we see there are various ways to deal with an allergy. Seems like there is no right answer, even though I wish there were! Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.