Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenpig View Post
    Wow, niccig, that is impressive! You will be so fit!
    And welcome to the virtual fitness club elektra and brgnmom! It's nice to have some more company! Elektra, I am the same way--DH needs to lose weight more than me so I let him take priority on the exercising (he often will exercise while I'm giving the kids baths and getting them ready for bed). Brgnmom, I totally hear you about the mom clinginess issue--we have the same issue here (I am going to a fundraiser gala for work tomorrow and DH is nervous about watching the kids for the 3 hours or so I'll be gone--he's worried that DS will cry for me the whole time). But have you talked to DH about it? If you live just right across the street from the gym maybe he'd be willing to watch them just for an hour once or twice a week?

Does anyone like to do exercise videos? Dang it, I can't find my two Firm steps anymore (they're called the Fanny Lifter system )--I wonder if I donated it during one of my purges. It was a good workout, but the exercise video is useless without them . I checked ebay but for some reason used ones are selling for $50! So, any other suggestions for good exercise videos you like? Zumba sounds interesting, but I have two left feet!
    Hi GP,
    I hope that your fundraiser gala went well and that your DC were alright being at home w/ your DH.

the gym across the street is part of our apartment complex, and while we have lived here for a month or so, neither one of us has used the gym. somehow DH and I have both managed to still lose weight over the past month, and I'm thinking that a large part of it may just be water weight b/c it has been pretty hot here. I take DS to the tennis court to practice tennis outside of his class, and so I might use that time as another opportunity to be more active (e.g., run around the court while picking up the tennis balls) while DD is in the stroller.

I'd love to hear about exercise DVDs. Awhile back, I was thinking about buying a zumba DVD but I did not end up purchasing one. I'm reconsidering that though b/c it would be easier for me to follow an exercise DVD at home, so that I'm able to get some regular exercise into my schedule. GP, have you heard of the 30 day shred? I haven't tried it, but I've heard that it's supposed to be effective in helping someone get fit.

I'll join in! I'm pregnant, so will not be doing this for weight loss, just general fitness.

1. What is your story? Why do you want to get fit? What are your fitness goals--diet, exercise, weight, short term, long term, etc.
    After DD was born, I lost all of my pregnancy weight and then proceeded to lose another 20lb, putting me back to basically my high school weight. After DS was born, I lost most of my pregnancy weight, and then went back to my pre-DD weight. I think it was partly that I tandem nursed and my body freaked out a bit, and partly that DH went through a period of unemployment and I was pretty stressed. I did the Shred for a couple months in early 2010, and started Zumba in November 2010, which I really like. Stopped Zumba when morning sickness kicked in around 6-7 weeks. My goals at this point are just to get back into shape, and gain a healthy amount this pregnancy. I'd love to get back to my post DD, pre DS weight after the baby is born!

2. How do you plan to get fit? Specifics, please (and start small!)
    Zumba for 20-30 minutes, 5 days a week, and walking to/at the park with the kids 2-5x/week. Any more than that, I'll have to run past my midwife. Not too concerned about my diet, as it is healthy, and I'm a little under where I could be for weight gain at this point in pregnancy.

3. What are your obstacles/excuses, and how to you plan to overcome them?
    I work out in the mornings before DH goes to work, and always want to sleeeeeeeep! Not get up and exercise. As long as I get up with DH, I should be a-ok.

4. Who can help you reach your goals? (DH, fitness buddies, trainer, etc)
    DH is encouraging, but at this point looking in the mirror will probably be my biggest help.

5. How are you doing right now?
    I started Zumba again last week, and did 20 minutes/day Monday thru Friday. DD recently learned to ride her bike sans training wheels, so we've been going to the park and walking the long loops so she can ride most days of the week. So far, so good!

ETA: For those asking about fitness DVDs, as I said, I did the 30 Day Shred, and while it is a great workout, I did not enjoy it and found lots of excuses to quit. In the end, we were TTC and the Shred is not compatible with pregnancy, so I stopped, but I also had a couple breaks because I hurt my knee doing the Shred once, and hurt my forearm another time. I decided on Zumba DVDs because a lot of my friends love the classes, and you can keep doing it while you're pregnant. Love love love the Zumba DVDs! My midwife commented on my abdominal muscles being especially strong at my last appt, and I'd credit the Zumba DVDs, particularly the Abs workout. They're fun to do, so I don't tend to make excuses to avoid them. I was concerned that because I'm not a dancer, I wouldn't pick up the moves easily, but they do a good job teaching in the DVDs.
    Last edited by MommyAllison; 06-12-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Wow, niccig, that is impressive! You will be so fit!
    Well, now that I've counted out how many weeks until the GRE, I'm going to have to revise my plans..

pilates 2x week
    zumba 1x week
    elitptical 1x week.

I didn't get to the eliptical this weekend..I'll try for Tuesday.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Great thread!
    1. What is your story? Why do you want to get fit? What are your fitness goals--diet, exercise, weight, short term, long term, etc.
    I have struggled with exercise all my life but only since pregnancy have felt truly "unfit". Asthma has always made exercise difficult and it has always been something I dreaded and was somewhat afraid of. As a kid I did well in gymnastics and karate but was never able to run or anything like that. I never ever understood people who exercised because they wanted to.
    2. How do you plan to get fit? Specifics, please (and start small!)
    Last year, I gained about 20 lbs from Prozac and decided to go off the meds. I knew I had to do something to fight the anxiety and I also wanted to lose the weight. I started doing myfitnesspal.com in February and slowly, very slowly started working out at the YMCA. The first time I tried the elliptical I could only do it about 20 minutes on the lowest setting, it was discouraging. I have now worked up to exercising at least three times a week. I usually do the elliptical for 45 minutes, a yoga class, or zumba. I also try to walk or play dance central an additional time during the week. It has really really helped me feel better, have more energy, and I have lost about 16 lbs (gained a couple back so my siggie isn't quite accurate). I cannot believe that going to the gym doesn't feel like torture anymore.
    3. What are your obstacles/excuses, and how to you plan to overcome them?
    I have a wide variety of excuses but the girls are one of my best ones. As long as I can take them to childcare at the Y, that really helps.
    4. Who can help you reach your goals? (DH, fitness buddies, trainer, etc)
    I met a couple girls at the Y, and it is great to meet them to workout. I don't mind working out by myself but sometimes the extra motivation is nice. It's always good to get some socialization in while working out!
    5. How are you doing right now?
    Well. I had a bad month last month with the whole family being sick and going out of town several times. But I am back on track and found myself missing the Y while I was out...again, could not believe that I felt this way. It's a miracle!

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks brgnmom for the recs for 30 day shred. I actually found the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred on my Comcast On Demand, so I was able to do it for free without buying any DVDs! I tried it for the first time tonight and thought it was great! I like working out with dumbbells (my old Firm DVDs did the same thing, a lot of lunges and steps while holding weights, combination of cardio and weight lifting)--it feels more effective than just plain cardio. I also like that the sessions are less than half an hour. I just don't have a whole hour to spend exercising. Even so, tonight DS decided to wake up during the middle of the workout (even though I just put him to bed an hour earlier) and I made DH go rock him back to sleep (I think he was a bit annoyed that I didn't go to DS, but honestly, can't I have a half hour to myself?)

The elliptical is OK, but honestly it's a little boring to spend half an hour doing the same thing. I might keep doing this 30 Day Shred instead. The only uncomfortable thing though, was (sorry if TMI!) when I was doing the jumping jacks, I kept feeling like I needed to pee really badly even though my bladder was empty. I guess having two kids did something to my pelvic muscles. As I said, I haven't exercised since having the kids. Maybe I need to do some Kegels. I looked into the Zumba, but it looks like it's over $50 for the set. And I looked at the promo video, and I just do not think my hips are capable of moving that fast . Plus I always feel a little silly dancing, esp when DH comes into the room and watches me exercise.

OK, random but I have to confess...I eat way too many jelly beans.

Welcome, DietCokeLover, MommyAllison & Melaine. I am editing the first post to include a list of all the members of our "virtual fitness club". Feel free to chime in and encourage all of your virtual fitness buddies!

elektra, have fun on vacation! From the other thread it sounds like you are going to a place where it'll be sunny and lots of fun ways to stay active. Do you like to snorkel/dive or kayak? You should try stand-up paddling--DH and I tried it once and it was fun!
    lhafer, that sand & mulch hauling sounds like a killer workout! How's the diet going? Sounds tough!
    DietCokeLover, have you tried the Jillian Michaels DVD? How did you like it? You are so lucky to have a pool where you live!
    brgnmom, the work fundraiser gala went fine, but I am pretty shy so I did not really do any schmoozing. Also I am glad I did not have to buy the ticket--$500 per person--ack! The funny thing was, I never wear makeup or curl my hair or dress up (unlike my mom, who is a total gala type person), so when DD saw me all dolled up she said, "Wow mommy, you look like Nana!" Fortunately, the kids mostly behaved themselves with DH and were asleep when I got back. Anyway, back to exercise--great that you lost weight this month! You are lucky to have a gym right in your apartment complex--let us know what it's like if you do make it out there.
    MommyAllison--congrats on the pregnancy and I am impressed that you are continuing to exercise while pregnant. I did a little when I was pregnant with DD--I think I used this one by a Cirque du Soleil acrobat:
    Perfect Pregnancy Workout
    But with DS I was totally worn out with work and chasing a toddler around, I did not exercise at all. Also I think I was slightly anemic. Boy was I tired all the time!
    niccig, that is still working out 4 times a week--still impressive! Hope the studying goes well.
    Melaine--16 lbs lost is great! I know what you mean about the asthma--I had it as a child and my mom was always writing notes to get me out of PE. I was always last picked for teams and I never grew up doing extracurricular sports or exercise. We are trying to raise our kids to be more physically active. Both of them are doing swimming lessons and I signed DD up for soccer for the summer. That's part of why I want to get fit, I want to set a good example for the kids so they will get in the habit of being active/healthy.
    Last edited by goldenpig; 06-13-2011 at 03:54 AM.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

elektra, have fun on vacation! From the other thread it sounds like you are going to a place where it'll be sunny and lots of fun ways to stay active. Do you like to snorkel/dive or kayak? You should try stand-up paddling--DH and I tried it once and it was fun!
    This is a great idea, thank you! I have always wanted to give this a try too, and I bet there are rentals.
    DD
    DS

The elliptical is OK, but honestly it's a little boring to spend half an hour doing the same thing. I might keep doing this 30 Day Shred instead. The only uncomfortable thing though, was (sorry if TMI!) when I was doing the jumping jacks, I kept feeling like I needed to pee really badly even though my bladder was empty. I guess having two kids did something to my pelvic muscles. As I said, I haven't exercised since having the kids. Maybe I need to do some Kegels. I looked into the Zumba, but it looks like it's over $50 for the set. And I looked at the promo video, and I just do not think my hips are capable of moving that fast . Plus I always feel a little silly dancing, esp when DH comes into the room and watches me exercise.

Can you watch a tv show on the eliptical or listen to a book on tape? This helps me. I'm also doing the high intensity and that is not boring/goes quickly because I'm watching the time to see how much longer...but I'm still working up to do this at a high enough rate.

I was intimidated with Zumba, but I went to a class and it was so much fun. No one else can move their hips like the instructor. No one is watching each other, everyone is just trying to keep up. Maybe you could try a class before investing in videos. I've got the Zumba wii, and I understand about not doing it in front of DH..I feel the same. Maybe later when I've got the moves down and less tushie to wobble, I'll feel better.

What I do like about zumba is that I think it's fun. No dragging myself to class..I want to go. Unlike eliptical when I do have to drag myself on that machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Well. I had a bad month last month with the whole family being sick and going out of town several times. But I am back on track and found myself missing the Y while I was out...again, could not believe that I felt this way. It's a miracle!
    16lbs..that is great Melanie. I'm going to miss exercising for most of May and I hope I can get back on track. Previously a break like that would be death knell of my exercise routine, so I'm going to have to work against the inertia of not exercising.

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post
    I've bought the DVD, but it's still in the celophane packaging it was wrapped in.
    How about your goal for the week is to open the DVD and try it once. Even if you don't get it finished because the kids interrupt you, you did more than you did last week.

I started slowly with getting back into exercise and I think that has really helped. After a few weeks of consistency, I then added one more thing in.

I used to feel it was overwhelming to find the time 3-4 times a week, but I'm really busy right now and I know I'll do 3 sessions this week. So, start off saying you'll do one thing this week and for the next week or two, then add in another session of something for a few weeks...and slowly get up to a few times a week.

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've made a schedule for myself!! And I made it to Pilates class today - which was on my schedule for today!! Woo-Hoo!!

I haven't started the diet yet because DH got super sick over the weekend. I didn't want him to start cutting calories while he was sick. So as soon as he's well, we will jump start that venture!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast