newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Is this an allergy??

DD is 10 months old and has been eating Earth's Best baby food since six months....
    At nine months (and a few days) I gave her 4oz of YoBaby plain yogurt.....mixed with some bannana. After she was done with the container and I was preparing to wash her face off I noticed hives starting to cover her chin, neck, shoulders........I called the ped, and they directed me to give her benadryl as long as she was showing no signs of difficulty breathing...........
    I did this, and she was fine after a few hours............

But, here's the thing.........she's had yogurt mixed in with some of her baby food! One of the Earth's Best foods is Apple Yogurt Oatmeal. She had been eating this a few times a week 'till the hives..........so I'm not sure why she reacted to the plain yogurt???

Now I'm affraid to try any more dairy products with her.

Any BTDT advice??

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, you can always develop an allergy even after having eating something safely with no reactions. Ds had had formula prob a handful of times with no reaction before he had the major reaction. I'd call your ped again and ask how he/she thinks you should proceede. But until you hear, maybe hold off on the dairy.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

lec is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I am having the same issue with my daughter. I had also tried YoBaby yogurt and she seemed to enjoy it - however she developed hives around her mouth and on her hands where the yogurt touched. They went away within 30 mins after I washed her face and hands. She didn't show any signs of difficulty breathing.

I decided I was going to hold off on anymore dairy until I took her in for her 9 month appt. Before her appointment I had picked her up from day care and they had fed her yogurt melts (without asking or my knowledge - thats a different story) but I asked if she had a reaction and they said no. I had yogurt melts at home that I had bought but had held off giving her - so I tried them that night and she had no problems. I also tried pieces of cheese and she was able to have that just fine.

When I went to DD 9 month appointment - the pedi said that they could test for a milk protein allergy but since they can grow out of it he recommended waiting to see how she was doing at 1 year. He said to continue to experiement to see what she can handle. DD is breastfed and I am not milk free. I tried yogurt again (different brand) over the weekend and she got hives again. Since they don't bother her - just me - I plan to continue to try and introduce different things to see how she reacts. I'll discuss with the pedi at her 12 month appt how things have gone and see where we go from there.
    DD1 8/10
    DD2 10/12

I have done cheese twice with DD and no reaction. Is it normal to have an allergy to yogurt and nothing else??

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

Quote Originally Posted by newg View Post
    I have done cheese twice with DD and no reaction. Is it normal to have an allergy to yogurt and nothing else??
    Cheese is a little easier to digest than other dairy. When reintroducing dairy to a prev allergic person, they usually suggest a hard cheese first.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    Cheese is a little easier to digest than other dairy. When reintroducing dairy to a prev allergic person, they usually suggest a hard cheese first.
    is string cheese a hard cheese or soft......soft??

So maybe swiss or chedar in tiny pieces?

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

String cheese is soft. I guess what I'm trying to say is that some people may be able to tolerate cheese, but not other dairy, KWIM? When I introduced dairy for DS, I think I started with it in baked goods.

ETA: Also, some babies can have just a contact rash on the mouth from eating something, that is not really an allergy. DD had this w/yogurt (along w/green dipes), and I got totally freaked out and stopped all dairy (based on DS's previous anaphalaxis to dairy). The ped kept trying to convince me that it was just a contact reaction and not a true allergy. I held off on dairy for another 9 months IIRC, and then reintro, and no rash, so I believe that's what it was in her case.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

dS used to have a contact reaction regulary with yogurt (yobaby), ketchup, and applesauce w/ cinnamon. I asked his allergist and he said it's just contact from the acid probably. He suggested putting Vaseline around DS's mouth to avoid the breakout if we wanted. They don't happen as often now, vut he still does react once in awhile. DS's rash looks kinda like hikes, big red splotches, but they are flat usually.