trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Cereal before or after nursing?

I am sure this has been asked before, but when starting cereal is it better to nurse then give cereal or should cereal come before nursing? TIA

lec is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I nursed DD then waited about an hour. If she was too hungry she found it very frustrating - she didn't like the rice cereal at all but she loves oatmeal.
    DD1 8/10
    DD2 10/12

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wait until after you bf. Until the age of 1 your baby's primary nutrition is from breast milk or formula and you want to make sure that the solid food doesn't affect the amount of milk your baby gets.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Quote Originally Posted by Beth24 View Post
    Wait until after you bf. Until the age of 1 your baby's primary nutrition is from breast milk or formula and you want to make sure that the solid food doesn't affect the amount of milk your baby gets.
    Solids are for practice up to the age of 1. Breast milk or formula should be their primary source of nutrition, and should not be edged out due to fullness from solids.
    Nurse, wait about an hour, then offer solids.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I did one side, gave the cereal, and then had her finish nursing on the other side.
    Now that she's 10 months I try to feed her the solid food at actual meal times, regardless of when she nursed last because she is hungry all the time now!

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd skip cereal altogether. I didn't do it with either kid and moved into finger foods as they were ready instead - it was such a nice way of doing solids vs. spoon feeding for our house .
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)