Default Lifting during pregnancy

I've always heard that you shouldn't lift heavy objects while pregnant, but the info that I find online is conflicting. DS weights about 27lb now, and it obviously makes me tired to carry him around all the time. Sometimes it makes my ligaments or muscles in my abdomen hurt to lift him though, especially in/out of the tub and helping him walk up the stairs. Is there really any sort of limit on how much I should be lifting or not?
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What I have heard is that starting in the middle of the pregnancy can be an issue but if you have been doing it all along, which you have, shouldn't be a problem. I went to weight lifting classes when pg with ds2 and while I reduced my weight, I still lifted a good amount with the OK of my midwives and fitness instructors. I'd run it by your care provider though since you are having pain...usually not a bad thing to heed things like that.

Beth

I stopped lifting DS about 4-6 weeks ago. And it has relieved the pain I was having by about 75%. I stopped because I was told I might have an inguinal hernia (as I posted here) but I don't think that's the case. I think I had round ligament inflamation that lifting DS made worse. Now the only time I lift him is I carry him to the house when we get home from daycare and I sometimes lift him into his high chair. The rest of the time he walks or I find someone to help me.

My DS weighs about 25 lbs.
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I asked my Dr about that when I was ~5 months pregnant with DD2. DD1 was at least 33 pounds then. She told me that there was no concern with regards to the pregnancy but that I could strain my back if I wasn't careful. I picked her up and carried her for short distances up until I was ~30 weeks and then I just told her that mama couldn't pick her up anymore. It was hard but my back and shoulders were getting really sore.
    If your body is aching then it is probably time to stop picking the kids up.

When I was pregnant with DS2, my OB said that I was carrying low. She suggested that I stop carrying DS1 (he was about 28 lbs at the time) and gave me a 10lb limit.

During my first pregnancy, I was still working and would regularly be lifting 50+lb at work, so I did ask my OB about it. IIRC, they said up to 50lb was ok, as long as I felt fine. I carried DD throughout my pregnancy with DS with no problems, and so far haven't had a problem with DS (35lb) this pregnancy - but I have always had a strong back, so that might be part of it. If it hurts, I'd back off and listen to your body, and go ahead and ask your OB/midwife. Even if you are "allowed" to lift higher weight, I'd personally stick with what is comfortable for you.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Thanks for the advice. I'll ask my doctor but was curious as to what other providers have said on the issue. DH thinks that I should b fine carrying DS, but he will do it when I ask (which I do when he's here). My placenta is on the front, and that makes me a little more nervous too about carrying DS around when he gets squirmy and is fighting to be put down.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Moms all over the world carry their kids while pregnant. Unless your doctor advises against it, I wouldn't think it's an issue. That is, not an issue in terms of your pregnancy's safety..... your comfort is also important. Do take care of yourself.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5