Default BJCM Double Car Seat Adapter - does it encroach on the second seat?

Hi all - I'm new to this forum but have so appreciated reading through many of the posts. We are expecting #2 in August; #1 will be 18 months old and is definitely a happy stroller kid (which is great for my back!).

So we are looking at double strollers. Have loved our Bob Revolution and Peg Si for our single but of course want a double that will be multi-functional. After much research I am leaning heavily toward the Baby Jogger City Mini Double. It seems well liked on this site and others, and I've checked it out in stores and think it's probably the best option (heavily considered the City Select but just think it's going to feel heavy and more challenging to maneuver than I'd like).

But here is my question - for those who have used the BJCMD with a carseat adapter, how uncomfortable is the setup for your older child? We were told by a salesperson that it really encroaches over the other seat (at least a few inches). But none of the floor models I've seen had an adapter set up for us to check out, nor can I find an image online. This is probably the one sticking point, as I want the flexibility to put the new babe in the stroller with a carseat from time to time, so this will be important for probably the first six months of use.

Also curious, because I've heard conflicting reports - can you use the carseat with babe in the stroller alone, or must the older child also be in their seat to prevent the stroller from toppling?

Thanks in advance.

Kaylee31 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't have one, but from this picture it doesn't look like it encroaches on the other seat.
    http://www.buzzillions.com/image.dox...457&i=19457499
    It does look a little awkward, but I don't think it would make the stroller tippy, because the weight is at the front of the stroller. I had a single BJCM, which was not tippy at all, even when I hung heavy bags from the handles and my child wasn't in the seat. So a double would be even more stable, I would imagine. The setup seems manageable, but not ideal by any means.
    DS - 07/09 - Mr. Tempermental
    DD - 02/12 - Dollface
    New arrival expected 06/14

My friend has one on her BJCED and is not in love. She said it basically obscures the view of her toddler in the second seat and obscures her view to the toddler somewhat. She didn't mention taking up any of the seat though...
    She used it twice and ditched it - opting to put the babe directly in the seat (which was not ideal for her, but easier than dealing with it)...

We recently got both the BJCMD and the carseat adaptor. After testing the carseat adaptor at home we returned it because it seemed way to bulky and cumbersome to put on a take off (we wanted to travel with it.) It didn't seem to encroach on the second seat - we tested by having DS sit in the other seat when it was installed. If I recall correctly, there may even be some horizontal adjustment possible (as in an inch or two) so you can place it correctly, but I suspect that might have been to ensure it fit your carseat properly.

As I said, we really disliked the complicated attachment, and felt it wasn't worth the money. We opted to put the baby in the stroller seat instead and that worked fine - better actually, because she didn't get as hot.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

Thanks, everyone! BJ also responded back to me that the carseat should not encroach if installed properly. They also said that you can use the carseat in the stroller alone (with the older child) by sliding it to the center. They sent an image that I'd attach here but I'm not sure I can figure it out! In any event, I think you all raise very valid points about it being cumbersome and also blocking the older child's line of sight. I suspect that we'll wind up doing what others have done - purchasing it to check it out but making sure we have the option to return it. Sounds like we could probably survive without it.

Thanks again for the helpful replies!

I don't have the carseat adapter, but I read that the carseat adapter will make the BJCMD wider and therefore will not able to fit through standard doorways. I purchased a "Snuzzler" instead and placed it in the stroller seat lying flat so my newborn doesn't slide or move around in the stroller. It's like a head and body hugger that keeps them from moving around too much while lying down in the stroller.