Default Babyproofing cabinet doors

What's your favorite way to babyproof cabinet doors? I tried the C-shaped gizmo from Safety 1st and our knobs were spaced too close together for it to lock; our sink cabinet is a particular challenge because there's a wooden lip covering the underside of the sink, so press-down latches won't work. I'd prefer something that doesn't require screwing in.

Do you have a favorite latch? Do you just move everything up high? There are so many options I don't know where to start....

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have the no drill magnetic cabinet locks and they work really well. We keep the magnet opener on our fridge. http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...oductId=461757
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have the magnetic adhesive ones also. love them.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have some little clippy do-dads, but honestly, my favorite way of baby-proofing cabinets is putting all the breakable/dangerous stuff up high. Then I also have a gate across my entire kitchen to close it from the rest of the house. I don't completely trust the cabinet locks to keep kids out of chemicals, for instance.

Oh, I don't trust locks to keep him out of everything, but since he insists on being underfoot in the kitchen, I'd rather have some control over which cabinets he dumps all over the floor. LOL

Next project: fix the doors that open with just a push because they don't latch (which we didn't discover until LO did!), and find a lock for the pocket door. *sigh*

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What kind of handles do you have on your cabinets?

I bought those C-shaped latches, too, but they don't work on ANYTHING we have in our house. SOO frustrating!!

Anyway, for handles, I use the Safety 1st sliding locks (have one on our guest bathroom cabinet doors and another on our pantry; I lost track of ther 3rd). For knobs, I use the Safety1st cable locks, like on our entertainment unit's glass doors, my dresser and nightstand.

I have a slew of the pressure latches from IKEA, but DH and I haven't installed them. We know we should.

We have a built-in fireplace with hinged doors, so I bought a specialty fireplace guard (I think it's by KidCo) from Diapers.com so I could stop piling clutter in front of the doors to keep DD away ... she was starting to move the clutter elsewhere. Usually by throwing.

I also gate off our kitchen when I don't want DD in there.

I realized last night that getting knob covers might be an EXCELLENT idea right about now.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle