Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I would consider staying around the waterfront, or better yet somewhere in the back bay. The Westin Copley is pretty central to walking to the Public Gardens and its a nice area. The Best Western suggested above would be too far to walk to a T IMO. If you're not going to have access to a car, I'd pay up a bit for a hotel that is very close to public transportation. I would check the Red Sox game schedule to see if they are home or away as you plan your vacation.

A trip out to Natick for one store, I don't know if I would do it. The Natick Collection is a beautiful and very high end mall, parking is a pain and its usually quite crowded. (Got stuck there for 3 hours once waiting for traffic to unwind around the holidays during a minor snow storm so headed back inside and met Ray Allen at Pink, but I digress). Don't get me wrong, its a great destination, you could spend all day walking this mall, and it might not be a bad idea if its 100* in August, but it is a crowded place. I personally would not do the commuter rail out there - the schedule can be quite sporadic. I do like the idea of renting a zipcar for the day. If you have the car for the day and are into semi-historic places, you could venture out to Walden Pond for a nice nature walk and wade in the Pond.

Ask away! So far we've been having a very mixed summer here in Boston. Hot, sunny days with rained tossed in the mix so I would plan for that while you are here. The FA called for a wet summer and I'm starting to believe it!

My kids love the science museum better than any others- I recommend that one!

If you go to the USS Constitution, take the T ferry from Longwharf- it's a lovely little 10 minute ride and really cheap. The Boston Harbor Islands are fun too if you want to do something on the water- I've been to Georges Island and there's a fort you can explore.

ETA: I know of at least 2 other vacation rentals in Jamaica Plain if you want the details- you can PM me. But I do think it would be more fun to stay downtown b/c you could go back to your hotel room in the middle of the day and take a break. Anywhere else it's more of an all-day affair. I've gotten great prices on downtown hotels on priceline before- but you have to be willing to not know where you're going!
    Last edited by wolverine2; 06-17-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

Quote Originally Posted by h_makadia View Post
    A trip out to Natick for one store, I don't know if I would do it. The Natick Collection is a beautiful and very high end mall, parking is a pain and its usually quite crowded. (Got stuck there for 3 hours once waiting for traffic to unwind around the holidays during a minor snow storm so headed back inside and met Ray Allen at Pink, but I digress). Don't get me wrong, its a great destination, you could spend all day walking this mall, and it might not be a bad idea if its 100* in August, but it is a crowded place. I personally would not do the commuter rail out there - the schedule can be quite sporadic. I do like the idea of renting a zipcar for the day. If you have the car for the day and are into semi-historic places, you could venture out to Walden Pond for a nice nature walk and wade in the Pond.
    I would definitely avoid Natick Collection on the weekends. If you try to get there when the mall opens on the weekdays, parking will be fine.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There is a Hampton in near the Lechemere Station, walking distance to a mall and the Museum of Science, which I think is more set up for families. It is strictly speaking Cambridge, because it is across the River. Some Cambridge hotels might be good options, but make sure they are walking distance to the T-stops. I would go before the end of August when college students are starting to move in.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What abotu the REnaissance Boston Waterfront? From what I can figure out it's a little less expensive than the Marriott Long Wharf and looks easily accessible to stuff. Am I reading that wrong?

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps...erfront-hotel/

Idealy we'd like only a couple block walk to a T stop that could get us to most of the places mentioned (aquarium, museum of science, children's museum, USS Constitution, love the idea of George's Island! the and the really cool sounding silver trolley cityview hop on/hop off tours)

Thanks everybody!

I'm thinking the Marriott Long Wharf is a fantastic location, but don't think we can afford it. Still crunching numbers.

I think Jamaica Plain might be too far, but would really, really love a bedroom with a door so DD can sleep while DH and I are up. Ugh.

The renaissaisance hotel I bet is fine. Location wise you would be on a bus line, not sure what there is to do around there as it's on the other side of where you want to be, prob a 10-15 walk, to the aquarium although you would be close to the Children's museum.

mariza is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I haven't looked at rates, what is your budget? If you don't mind taking a shuttle to the subway, there are "suite hotels near the Airport in East Boston. Both the Hampton Inn and Suites and Embassy suites have separated bedrooms with kitchenette and free breakfast. The Embassy suites has an awesome breakfast buffet. Both have shuttles to the T as as to the ferry service to the city. Are you AAA members? Maybe check their website and see what deals they are offering. Also, a really cool old Boston Hotel in a great location (but i'm not sure if they have suites) is the Omni Parker House hotel. There is also a Holiday Inn in Gov't Center close to the T. I actually had my wedding reception at the Holiday inn, it was pretty nice 7.5 years ago
    Monkey See (DD) 01/05
    Monkey Do (DS) 09/06

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We stayed here for my sister's bachelorette party, and were impressed how nice it was at reasonable rates:

http://www.johnjeffrieshouse.com/

It may be booked up, it is pretty small, but worth a try!

It is right on the red line (Charles/MGH), central to a lot (Beacon Hill, Fanueil Hall, Waterfront)...
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    What abotu the REnaissance Boston Waterfront? From what I can figure out it's a little less expensive than the Marriott Long Wharf and looks easily accessible to stuff. Am I reading that wrong?

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps...erfront-hotel/

Idealy we'd like only a couple block walk to a T stop that could get us to most of the places mentioned (aquarium, museum of science, children's museum, USS Constitution, love the idea of George's Island! the and the really cool sounding silver trolley cityview hop on/hop off tours)

Thanks everybody!

I'm thinking the Marriott Long Wharf is a fantastic location, but don't think we can afford it. Still crunching numbers.

I think Jamaica Plain might be too far, but would really, really love a bedroom with a door so DD can sleep while DH and I are up. Ugh.
    You can get to the Green Line (although it is shuttle bus service currently due to drawbridge construction, but I don't know if that will still be going on for your visit). Or a little further to the Kendall stop on the Red line. It's right on the Charles, so nice view. Walking distance to the Museum of Science. They might even have some shuttle bus services.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Okay, thanks for the more info on the green line and the Renaissance Water Front. When I called the Renassaince they said they were .1 of a mile from the green line, but from what you are describing that's not what I really want, especially because they do not have a shuttle service. I went ahead and booked the Renassaince Waterfront just in case. We're looking at the week of 8/1

It's $269/night, which I'm (moderately)comfortable with. A far cry from the other one that I really wanted the Marriott Long Wharf mentioned previously that's $529/night The location there was perfect.

But a pp mentioned Westin Copley Square. Since I have a little bit of Marriott points I started looking at other Marriott chains that might be in our budget. I'm starting to lean towards Marriott.

With no car and 2 whiney walkers (DH and DD), accessibility to the main attractions is key. On a budget. I'd prefer to stay less than $300/night. Way less would be a mega bonus. I'm still preferring a suite so DD can go to bed and DH can sleep in while DD and I have breakfast.

So, what are your thoughts on these places:

http://www.courtyardboston.com/Hotel...xperiences.asp

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ntown-tremont/

With this as the backup:https://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps...erfront-hotel/

sorry I'm being such a pain! Location, location, location!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast