Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    We stayed here for my sister's bachelorette party, and were impressed how nice it was at reasonable rates:

http://www.johnjeffrieshouse.com/

It may be booked up, it is pretty small, but worth a try!

It is right on the red line (Charles/MGH), central to a lot (Beacon Hill, Fanueil Hall, Waterfront)...

Great location -- not super fancy but very nice. We used to live very close and my grandparents would stay here.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

mariza is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I found a Marriott Residence Inn in Charlestown that looks like it fits all your needs. Rates start at $219, it is an all suite hotel with a full kitchen and they serve a full breakfast. It's technically not in Boston, but it is across the Harbor from where the Marriott Long Wharf is (had no idea the Long Wharf was so crazy expensive!)
    I really like this place from what I can see online (sad, I used to be a tourguide in Boston and my Mom owns a salon on the Boston waterfront, and I never go there anymore cuz I can't deal with my kids in the city!) I guess it's time for me to get reacquainted with downtown Boston
    Anyway, there is a ferry that goes very frequently from Charlestown to Long Wharf that costs just over a dollar, it would be a fun way to get to where you want to go. Also, all the Sightseeing Trolleys have stops at the Charlestown Navy yard, so if you decided you wanted to do that for a day, you could start and end right there. The Residence inn has good reviews:
    http://www.expedia.com/Boston-Hotels...Rates&#reviews

http://www.residenceinnboston.com/specials.htm
    Monkey See (DD) 01/05
    Monkey Do (DS) 09/06

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Holy cow Mariza, that looks perfect! rooms, rates, I think the location. Looking more into this one. I wouldn't have because it doesn't say Boston, but this just might work! Oh thank you so much!

You all have been really patient and full of info. I appreciate all the input! I'm going to look a little more into how long it would take to get to/from, but the views look outstanding, there is the little pool (with another gorgeous view), the rate is perfect and the set up is awesome. off to try to figure out location. Thank you!!!

My mother-in-law stayed at that Residence Inn in Charlestown in March and we went to her room to meet her, so I can give you a little first-hand experience. The lobby was nice, although smallish, and she said they had free breakfast buffet in the morning and free appetizer buffet in the late afternoon/early evening. The room was smaller than a typical Residence Inn, but there was a small kitchen area with a full size fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, toaster. I think there was a small stove also. I think she opted for a smaller room, as there was no separate bedroom, but I believe a typical 2 room suite is available. There is no T (subway) station nearby. The closest would be North Station, about 1 mile away. It is maybe 2 blocks to the USS Constitution, and previous folks have noted there is a water shuttle there, although I am not familiar with that. There were a few restaurants within a block of the hotel. We drove to the hotel and there was a large lot right outside that was a bit cheaper than typical Boston hotel parking, so if you do rent a car for a day to do things outside the city, you can park at the hotel fairly easily.

Good luck--
    Andie

Hi,

Lived here for 24 years. My question to you is, what do you want to do in Boston? I'd vote for staying near Back Bay/Copley Square if you have young children - that is really the center of Boston in terms of sightseeing. Park Plaza Hotel, Copley Plaza Hotel, Westin, Marriott, W Hotel, Sheraton, Colonnade... Try Priceline. You probably won't find a suite at any of these hotels though.

Lots to do in that area - parks, Public Garden, Boston Common, Boston Public Library, Duck Boat Tours, Beacon Hill, South End, Prudential Skywalk, Chinatown, Trinity Church, Copley Place, Prudential Center (has some kid friendly food options), Charles River, Newbury Street... Close to Fenway Park and the Mass Pike if you want to go to Natick to AG. I'd open a ZipCar account ahead of time and reserve a car. You get right on the Pike in Copley Square and take it to Natick - maybe 20-30 minutes. Can take the T to the Science Museum, Museum of Fine Arts or the Children's Museum.

Charlestown is great but it is a lot of schleping to get back and forth places when you have little kids.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would also check out the Holiday Inn on Beacon Hill. It is right near the Red Line (Charles T Stop) and the Green Line (Government T stop). It is next to Mass General Hospital, so there are always people around, the place in Charlestown is a little empty at night. It's a nice walk to the Public Gardens and Commons. Beacon Hill is cute. There is a Whole Foods in the shopping plaza that the hotel is at, small complex. So you can get prepared food easily instead of eating out all the time. I think rates run around$ 200-250. The Liberty Hotel is beautiful, also nearby, but pricey. But I cheat and get to stay there for $160-200 a night since my employer actual owns the land the hotel is on.

[/QUOTE]
    Charlestown is great but it is a lot of schleping to get back and forth places when you have little kids.[/QUOTE]

I guess it really depends on what you consider schlepping . To me, a quick ferry ride seems so much nicer and more relaxing than dealing with the T. There are also busses that go over the Charlestown bridge from State Street/ Haymarket frequently. I much prefer the waterfront area with kids due to the Aquarium, Faneuil Hall Marketplace, the carousel across from Long Wharf, the North End (fun festivals summer weekends), Charlestown Navy Yard, Children's Museum. Of course the Public Garden is about a 20 minute walk from there which could be a pain. I agree that the Holiday Inn is a great hotel in a central location, but doesn't have a lot of the things OP was looking for. OP, here is a link to the Ferry schedule http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...ines/?route=F4 seems to run frequently in the AM and PM with some long gaps between service in the afternoon, but with some planning it should work just fine.
    Monkey See (DD) 01/05
    Monkey Do (DS) 09/06

For me defining schleping depends on how mobile your kids are. Dragging two kids around a city who get tired after walking two blocks is no fun - BTDT!

I do think it depends on what OP wants to do and spend most of her time.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hi Everybody,
    I really appreciate all the feedback! Sorry, I've been away for a few days. Work is really making me earn this vacation. If I survive to it we'll have a great time!

Other posters have really hit the nail on the head with our needs. A separate bedroom with a door and living room were a necessity for us. DD goes to bed at 7:30 and for us to enjoy the time off, sending her to bed and us chilling out in the living room will be key to everyone having more pleasant days. Added bonus that DD and I can get up, go downstairs for full included breakfast and let DH sleep a little later. No grumps!

We did book the Residence Inn Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf. It seemed like the perfect location for us. Let the planning begin! First week of August, no weekend.
    http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...n-tudor-wharf/

No car. So sounds like American Girl is probably out. Ok, plenty of other stuff to do.

USS Constitution. The hotel is maybe 2 blocks away. DH is a huge fan, so he'll probably walk over with coffee every morning to enjoy.

Love the idea of the Ferry. So that will get us to the Aquarium and the Children's Mueseum.

We'd also like to do the science museum.

hop on/hop off freedom trail trolley is definitely on the list.

The hotel has a little indoor pool, which will be nice if we just want to hang out.

DH just told me last night that he's dreamed since high school to see a game at Fenway. So we'll have to try to score some tickets.

I'd like to do the swan boats and frog pond (I think).

I've looked at both citypass and go boston card. We loved our citypass in Chicago. Any other suggestions for deals?

How's that sound, doable in 5 days from our location? If we need to cut stuff, what should it be? Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    Hi Everybody,
    I really appreciate all the feedback! Sorry, I've been away for a few days. Work is really making me earn this vacation. If I survive to it we'll have a great time!

Other posters have really hit the nail on the head with our needs. A separate bedroom with a door and living room were a necessity for us. DD goes to bed at 7:30 and for us to enjoy the time off, sending her to bed and us chilling out in the living room will be key to everyone having more pleasant days. Added bonus that DD and I can get up, go downstairs for full included breakfast and let DH sleep a little later. No grumps!

We did book the Residence Inn Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf. It seemed like the perfect location for us. Let the planning begin! First week of August, no weekend.
    http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...n-tudor-wharf/

No car. So sounds like American Girl is probably out. Ok, plenty of other stuff to do.

USS Constitution. The hotel is maybe 2 blocks away. DH is a huge fan, so he'll probably walk over with coffee every morning to enjoy.

Love the idea of the Ferry. So that will get us to the Aquarium and the Children's Mueseum.

We'd also like to do the science museum.

hop on/hop off freedom trail trolley is definitely on the list.

The hotel has a little indoor pool, which will be nice if we just want to hang out.

DH just told me last night that he's dreamed since high school to see a game at Fenway. So we'll have to try to score some tickets.

I'd like to do the swan boats and frog pond (I think).

I've looked at both citypass and go boston card. We loved our citypass in Chicago. Any other suggestions for deals?

How's that sound, doable in 5 days from our location? If we need to cut stuff, what should it be? Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Sounds definitely doable! You can do the USS Constitution and the Swan Boats on the same day by using the Trolley Tour. I would walk over to the Navy Yard first thing in the morning, do a tour of the Constitution, then wait for the trolley. From the Navy Yard it will head toward the Boston Common/ Public Garden. I would get off there and walk around, then pick it up again and get off when you get to the waterfront/Aquarium area. You could take a cab to the science museum another day, it would be a quick ride. I definitely recommend a tour of Fenway if you can't get in to see a game.
    Have fun, PM me if you have any questions
    Monkey See (DD) 01/05
    Monkey Do (DS) 09/06

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast