View Poll Results: What's easier, running inside or outside?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Treadmill all the way

11 45.83%
  • Outside in the fresh air

11 45.83%
  • Neither, hate 'em both

0 0%
  • I like the couch. (other)

2 8.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I was just remembering my 1st 5k. Until that day I had never run outside, only on the treadmill. Holy crap did I get my butt whopped! Maybe it was the hills though. But, it was a lot harder! I'd forgotten that- it's been a lot of years!

Beth

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Moneypenny View Post
    Treadmill is much much easier, but I hate it. I really prefer to run outdoors.

I had to move inside recently due to the weather and my allergies, and while it is easier (and a confidence boost for me) I hate it. It is sooo boring.

ETA: The guy at the running store had told me it's easier to run on a treadmill- both for the impact and the endurance. While I find the treadmill has some more cushioning, I do much better outside in terms of my overall pacing. I can run longer and faster on the treadmill, but I can slow down and speed up more efficiently outside- if that makes any sense!!
    Last edited by LarsMal; 06-15-2011 at 01:47 AM.

LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Running on the treadmill IS easier (besides boredom). There's no fluctuations in grade or speed, unless you manually change it, and there is no elements like wind or sun to deal with BUT it's a MILLION times better for your body and for your training.

Run outside whenever you can. I find myself on the dreadmill more than I'd like but I try to get outside at least twice a week.
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I trained 100% of c25k outside. I HATE The treadmill. It's makes me feel like I'm a hamster trapped on a hamster wheel, so mundane and all I keep thinking about is when it wil be over. I have no clue wha I'll do when the weather gets cold again. We have a treadmill, but I'm just not crazy about it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    I trained 100% of c25k outside. I HATE The treadmill. It's makes me feel like I'm a hamster trapped on a hamster wheel, so mundane and all I keep thinking about is when it wil be over. I have no clue wha I'll do when the weather gets cold again. We have a treadmill, but I'm just not crazy about it.
    I ran unless there was snow and ice on the ground this year and it felt great, even at 20 degrees. Layers and breathable fabric

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I ran unless there was snow and ice on the ground this year and it felt great, even at 20 degrees. Layers and breathable fabric

Beth

In fact, I got YakTrax and ran in the snow, too. And during the short days, I'd pile on my reflective vest/bracelets and headlamp and run in the dark. Yes indeed I do hate the treadmill so very much.

My coldest long run (10+ miles) was 17 degrees. I felt fine! My typical winter layers are:
    Running tights (I have some that are thicker for really cold days)
    Short sleeve shirt (technical fabric)
    Long sleeve shirt (technical fabric)
    Quarter-zip fleece pullover and/or windproof shell
    Lightweight gloves
    Either ear-warmer, buff, or beanie-type hat

It can be really, really hard to get started when it is that cold, but by a mile in to it, it feels refreshing and awesome.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

I hate the treadmill. I stopped running part way through the winter because I just couldn't stand the treadmill anymore. It doesn't matter what I try to do to distract myself, I still just can't wait for it to be over and I end up just getting off. Outside, you can't really "get off" so I just keep running- and I love the fresh air and unexpected variety of terrain!
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2