Default Supplementing with formula while I am on a business trip

DS is 7 months old and has been exclusively breastfed until now. I am going on a 5 day business trip in 2 weeks, and sadly, my frozen milk stash is all but gone...I pump 3 x a day at work and also at home in the evenings after DS falls asleep, but my supply is just not what it used to be. Before I would easily get 20 ounces every day and DS would only drink 15 while we are apart, so I would be able to freeze 4-5 oz of milk daily. The last few months have been super stressful and busy for us and my supply has dropped, so I am only able to save very, very little, even when I pump on weekends. There is no possible way I could take DS along with me on the trip.

This brings me to my question. Let's presume that I'll be able to save up a total of 50 oz before I leave. That's not nearly enough (I am presuming that DS needs at least 30 oz per day x 5 days). Is the best option to supplement with formula while I am gone? I am planning to revert to breastfeeding as soon as I come back. Should we start giving DS some formula now to get him used to it? Also, since I know nothing about supplementing with formula, should it be mixed with breastmilk or given separately (e.g., breastmilk in one bottle, formula in the next bottle, etc.). Any advice you could provide would be much appreciated!!!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When we supplemented my DD (I had absolutely NO stash built up when I went back to work for a number of reasons), I'd instruct the DCP to do different amounts per feed rotating breastmilk & formula until I was able to build up a stash again.

I nursed DD in the a.m. then had the DCP do formula-breastmilk-formula as the day progressed. Obviously you won't have this luxury on a business trip, but you might want to try keeping any stashed breastmilk for feeds at home while you're away & giving formula only at daycare or whatever.

You might want to try a rotation starting now to gauge any possible reactions before you go away. My DD had TERRIBLE gas from all formula, so I had to get the DCP to add a dose of Mylicon to her formula bottles to make sure she didn't get cranky later.

FWIW, my sister tried a ton of formulas for my nephew & he did the best on ready-to-feed Similac, though it's pretty pricey.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    When we supplemented my DD (I had absolutely NO stash built up when I went back to work for a number of reasons), I'd instruct the DCP to do different amounts per feed rotating breastmilk & formula until I was able to build up a stash again.

I nursed DD in the a.m. then had the DCP do formula-breastmilk-formula as the day progressed. Obviously you won't have this luxury on a business trip, but you might want to try keeping any stashed breastmilk for feeds at home while you're away & giving formula only at daycare or whatever.

You might want to try a rotation starting now to gauge any possible reactions before you go away. My DD had TERRIBLE gas from all formula, so I had to get the DCP to add a dose of Mylicon to her formula bottles to make sure she didn't get cranky later.

FWIW, my sister tried a ton of formulas for my nephew & he did the best on ready-to-feed Similac, though it's pretty pricey.
    Thanks so much for your input! Our nanny, who watches him during the day, tried offering ready-to-feed Similac Advance to him, without too much luck. He could right away tell that she was offering him something other than mommy's milk. I really wish I had a bigger stash of frozen milk and didn't have to resort to this option...

Momto1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Not to make things more complicated, but are you planning on pumping while you're on your trip? How far away will you be? I'd be more concerned about the long-term effects on your nursing relationship than the temporary effects of supplementing with formula.

For example, if you are not able to pump as often as you need, your supply may drop and it might take a lot of work to get it back up again. Also, there is a chance he may refuse the breast when you get back. Would you be ok with either of these things if they were to happen? I mention these things not because I'm trying to scare you, but because I want to make sure that you are aware of all the "what ifs" IYKWIM. I'd hate to have you go on your trip thinking you will be able to go back to "normal" when you return (which might be the case) and have things go wrong. Better to be aware ahead of time than be in a "I wish I had known this would happen!" position.

If you are planning on pumping often on your trip, what are you planning on doing with the breastmilk? You could always pump and dump just to keep supply, but you might want to look into traveling with it so that you will be able to rebuild your freezer stash.

Oh and just to add - don't mix BM with formula. You may want to do it a little to get him used to the taste, but once he's ok with the formula I wouldn't mix the two together. There are different rules for feeding and storage of BM and formula, which means that you might have to throw out BM that's mixed with formula sooner than if it was by itself.

Good luck! Sorry to be such a downer. I totally understand what it is like to be a WOHM trying to maintain a BF relationship - it's hard! Hope everything works out for you and your LO.
    Last edited by Momto1; 06-16-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    WOHM to DD, born 5/4/09

All great points...I am planning to pump every 3-4 hours while I am away, including nights...I am not too worried about nipple confusion (DS preferring bottle). If at 7 months old he always prefers the boob and our nanny somewhat struggles to feed him the requisite three bottles during the hours that I am at work, I strongly doubt that he will prefer the bottle when I return. My biggest concern is that he will refuse the formula and just live on the limited amount of breastmilk I am leaving and solids. I am also worried that he will miss me a ton and wonder where I am. Hopefully he won't conclude that I am never coming back...Fortunately, he will have his loving nanny and my mom with him during the day, and then daddy and grandma in the evenings and at night. Since all three of them are really loving, I guess I shouldn't worry that he will not receive the usual amount of affection that he gets when I am there. I agree with all of your points though...they are really important and there is just no way of predicting how my trip will affect our nursing relationship...

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't have any experience with the formula part so can't give advice there but did have a comment or two on the rest.

First off, make sure you stay hydrated on your trip to keep up your health/supply/pumping ability. It's easy to forget while traveling and air travel can be really dehydrating. If you're flying I'd also read up a little on transporting your milk and make sure you understand their rules--I think Kellymom has info on this?

I'd try not to worry too much about him missing you. I suspect it will be much harder on you than him. He'll realize something's off initially but babies seem to have much shortened senses of time. My child didn't start actively wondering where the other parent was during business trips until after a year old and at close to 2 doesn't seem to understand much difference between a 1 night trip and an 8 night trip. If he usually falls asleep nursing I'd maybe try transitioning him to drinking from a bottle at night or have dada do the night routine for a bit to get him used to sleeping without a boob.

Good luck!

Here's a link from the TSA about traveling with breastmilk, both with or without your child. You can carry large quantities (seemingly unlimited) through security so long as you declare it.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...n/formula.shtm

Also, I was told at my son's 9-month appointment to aim for 20-24 ounces per day. So your assumption of 30 might be high? Just throwing that out there if it helps offer any peace of mind as far as how much he should be eating, if he doesn't eat 30 oz/day while you are gone, not to worry.

Good Luck Mama! WOTH is indeed hard. Sounds like you're doing great!
    Sarah

DS1 8/2010
    DS2 11/2012

Thanks so much Mikala and Schmitty21 for your kind words and advice! Interesting point re: 20-24 oz/day...I guess then I shouldn't stress as much as I do! I am hoping to leave close to 50 oz of frozen milk for him. Any input on whether I should purchase a manual pump (e.g., Medela Harmony) for pumping at the airport, between work meetings, etc.? It's much more discreet and will be able to easily fit into my purse. I also plan on bringing my PISA along for pumping at the hotel.

Hmmm... If you're bringing the PISA I personally wouldn't invest in another pump, but I'm also on the cheap side. That, and manually pumping seems like a pain (although I've never done it), and possibly takes longer.

I have had to call ahead on many occasions to make sure there'd be a place for me to pump - finding out if there would be an outlet and fridge. I have lugged that big, heavy, awkward bag to several random places all over Chicago. A college football game, a wedding located at a museum, a convention center. I find if you call ahead and tell them you are a nursing mother, and what might they have in place for you, most places are pretty accommodating. It's just a matter of having the guts to place the call. I'm always more relieved when a female answers the phone.

I would call the airport, your meeting site, etc, and see what they can do to get you a room. Fortunately the bag is pretty non-descript, your average coworker won't have a clue unless it's another pumping Mom. You can use it as your overall purse if you don't want to carry 2 bags.