Default Bumpy Boat Rides during Pregnancy

Is there any significant risk to riding in a boat while pregnant? We aren't in one often, but it does seem like it can be very jolting and bumpy when you go fast, especially if there are waves. We're going to be taking a boat out on the sea in a couple of weeks, and I hate to be the one telling everyone to go slow if there's no reason. It would be horrible to go into labor this early though.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My OB has said that it isn't the bumpiness that is the real issue, but the possibility of getting thrown around (say you hit a hard wave or something submerged) and having your belly impacted (same logic goes for horseback riding).
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

I had an apt yesterday and asked about it. My dr said that I should be fine to do whatever I want and just listen to my body. I know that I've read about people doing bumpy car rides when trying to bring on their own labor, but maybe that only works when your body is ready anyway.

I still think I'll be more comfortable avoiding large bumps and any extra risk. It would be horrible to have a preemie while in Europe and get stuck over there for several months.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Roni is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I've been pregnant twice during the summer, & we definitely kept the jolts to a minimum. It was uncomfortable, if nothing else. My Drs. did ban me from the jet ski when I was pregnant last summer. ( I did take it out in early summer--but we're on a pretty quiet lake, & I was careful not to go too fast.)

I remember we did it once and I felt sick! So I decided just to avoid boats while pregnant, lol.

Good point about the sickness. I was already thinking about taking along dramamine in case I need it on the plane. My SIL will be along on the boat, and she is due in just a few weeks so I'm hoping that she wants to avoid bumps too (although I'm not very confident since she was out skiing in her second trimester).
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11