Default Best all-around stroller for heavy toddler?

I've been reading this forum for a few days and am amazed at how knowledgeable and helpful you all are! I've learned a lot, but I'm hoping some of you might have some specific suggestions for me.

My baby will be a year old at the end of the month and he is very, very big--40 pounds, and tall as well. I like to wear him in the sling, but he's just too heavy to do that much anymore, and the cheapo umbrella stroller we got from the drug store obviously isn't going to cut it.

Our budget is limited and I'd really love to just get one stroller that will work okay for everything. Here's what I'm hoping to find:

A high weight limit, of course. 50 pounds doesn't really seem high enough; although I'm sure his growth will slow down now that he's a year old, it just doesn't seem prudent to get anything he'll outgrow ten pounds from now.

Something lightweight and small enough to fit in the trunk of our Honda Civic.

Something that won't fall apart if pushed every day on a gravel road. (Does this mean we need to look for big wheels?)

I've thought about the Aprica Presto and the BOB Revolution SE, but neither seems quite right. Probably I won't find anything exactly right, but if anyone has any ideas for me to explore, I'd sure be grateful. Thank you so much!

mom3boys is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well, a small fold AND being able to go on a gravel road might be tough to find.

The MacLaren Techno XLR has a 65lb weight limit, the Aprica Cadence has a 70 lb weight limit, those are the highest I know of for "umbrella-type"/lighter strollers, but would not be much fun going on gravel with them. Also the Cadence is not really an umbrella fold--would probably be small enough but not sure as I haven't seen it in person. Of those 2 I would choose the XLR just because MacLarens are generally really good strollers.

I know the BJCE (Baby Jogger City Elite) has a 75lb weight limit, and I think that would be a good choice because of the terrain you want to use it on--but it is an AT so the fold is just not that small. You could pop off the wheels to make it smaller but you won't want to do that in and out of the car all the time. However, the fold is really easy, so that might work. I used to fit a Valco Tri-Mode (similar size to a BJCE, clunkier when folded) into an Audi A4 which is not much bigger than a Civic.
    M, Mom to 3 handsome boys, '06, '08, '11

i think you need the bob revo se

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My nearly 40 pound 1 yo nephew rolls in a baby jogger city classic. Sounds perfect for your purposes (or a baby jogger city elite). A Bob would be fine too.

http://www.cradlesandall.com/product...&pfid=CRA01002
    Last edited by arivecchi; 06-16-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by scriptkitten View Post
    i think you need the bob revo se

Thank you so much for your help, everyone!