Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I started my induction with cytotech. I was allowed to do whatever I wanted...walk, tub, rock, sit on birth ball etc for 30 mins and then 30 mins I had to be attached to monitors but still could sit, lay etc. Even when they did start pit, the only position that was comfortable was rolling on the birth ball. I did that for at least 4 hrs. They can also do up to 3 rounds of progestiglandin gel and a membrane sweep all to induce you prior to pitocin. Just make sure you know your options and know you do have some decision making power during labor.
    Last edited by ashleybama24; 06-17-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Additional content

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Definately hire a doula if you don't already have one. She can help you stay mobile even while being hooked up to pitocin, an IV, and continuous fetal monitoring. Even hooked up you can be on the birth ball, in the rocking chair, on hands and knees in the bed, draped over the bed with the back fully upright, and can walk a few feet back and forth. Just stay mobile and change positions often. Once you get in a regular labor pattern you can ask to have the pitocin turned off and see if you're body takes over on it's own. After that, you can get off all the monitors, get in the shower, etc.

As a doula, I have been to natural births that were induced but they were more difficult. More difficult, but definately not impossible.

And you can always PM me for my castor oil regimen-- 100% success rate so far (9 out of 9)! I would definately try natural induction stuff before a pitocin induction hands down.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LearningAsWeGo View Post

Curious to know whether your friends with the horror stories delivered w/o an epidural or if they had prepared for a natural birth? Preparation is so important, IMO - if you want a natural birth and take classes, read books (Ina May is awesome!) and learn proper breathing techniques and positioning to find comfort, you set yourself up for a much better chance of having a natural childbirth.
    This is a great point. I had an unmedicated birth and it was fairly traumatizing for me. However, I had no plans on going med free, my labor just went too fast and it was a weekend and the anesthesiologist was in a c-section. I know that if I had been prepared that it wouldn't have been that bad. More than anything, I was panicked about the unknown.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    I have been taking a hypnobirthing class and that has helped me feel really confident that I could do a natural birth, but they stress so much the part about not laying in bed--walking around, getting a birth ball, doing squats, being in the water. But I was told that if I get induced with pitocin, I will attached to an IV line and required to lay in bed the entire time so that pretty much throws out the window all of the techniques I was going to use. Except the music, I will of course have my CDs the whole time.
    Why no mobility? Really press them on that one b/c many of the successfull med free inductions I know have had total mobility, at least as far as the wires would take you. Read up on some Bradley birth dtuff as they have some good positions and tips if laying in bed.

Beth

I was induced and tethered to all the machines. Not what I had prepped for as I was also wanting to do med free. You should have enough movement to get out of bed and maneuver around on a birthing ball. I managed 14 hours of med free labor but caved for the epi b/c it was all back labor. I have had 2 back surgeries so the pain was excruciating. The epi bought me 3 hours of relief b/c the position of the baby resulted in hip labor that the epi couldn't control. If I had known that I would have just sucked it up.

You totally can do it. I would ask them first to see if you can start with a Foley ball catheter and see if that would jump start your labor before pitocin if it is applicable.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The nurse in my birth class, who was totally pro natural birth, told us that if you want to go natural and get pitocin, it will be a BIG nightmare. I was so nervous when the midwife kept asking me if I wanted pitocin because I was afraid I couldn't handle the pain and kept thinking about what the nurse had said. After 35 hours of labor with a posterior baby, I caved. I was at the point of asking for a c-section, so I decided to give it a try. And I'm proud to say I made it. Honestly, for me the contractions before the pitocin were WAY worse. I just read a couple of books on the Bradley method and found that rocking back and forth, and mentally relaxing throughout your body like mentioned in the book really really helped. Good luck! And don't let them scare you. But don't be disappointed in yourself if you feel you have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post

And you can always PM me for my castor oil regimen-- 100% success rate so far (9 out of 9)! I would definately try natural induction stuff before a pitocin induction hands down.
    Come August 10th if this baby is still not here I am going to PM you for that regimen! (I'm due July 27)

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    I was induced and tethered to all the machines. Not what I had prepped for as I was also wanting to do med free. You should have enough movement to get out of bed and maneuver around on a birthing ball. I managed 14 hours of med free labor but caved for the epi b/c it was all back labor. I have had 2 back surgeries so the pain was excruciating. The epi bought me 3 hours of relief b/c the position of the baby resulted in hip labor that the epi couldn't control. If I had known that I would have just sucked it up.
    I can relate, marymoo...except the back surgeries. I cannot imagine how painful back labor would be after that! My experience was real similar to yours - 24 hours of back labor (almost no progress ) and then the midwife put her foot down about the pitocin. At that point I was so wasted, I took the epi. It would have been different if the labor pains had been progressing and productive, but it was't and I was exhausted.

But... I was actually pretty pleased that I could still feel the contractions through the epi. The epi took the edge off for me but I was still aware and in control. I really disliked the thought of losing that sense of my body and the process. It was funny, I kept telling the nurses where I knew I was at in the process and they politely told me I was full of crap. But I was right! Haha.

Anyway, OP - it isn't necessarily a choice between fully unmedicated with pit and fully desensitized with an epi. For me, the sensation was an accident because my daughter was positioned wacky. But can't you choose a lower dose of epi med even with typical contractions?

I had both experiences (medicated/unmedicated) in one birth. Next time I'll confidently choose unmedicated as my first choice again but I don't regret how this first time went at all.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

I also to mention that I have read post birth about the increase in use of nitrous oxide (laughing gas) for labor. It doesn't stay in the body and you only use the mask when you need it so it could be an option to explore if you feel at that time you need something to push through a contraction but don't need a total knockout.

I so wish I had known about that as I could have done it without an epi with the assistance of the nitrous.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    ...But I was told that if I get induced with pitocin, I will attached to an IV line and required to lay in bed the entire time so that pretty much throws out the window all of the techniques I was going to use. Except the music, I will of course have my CDs the whole time.
    That doesn't seem right, but I only have my own experience to draw from.

I had an IV, but I was able to walk around and do pretty much whatever I wanted until they put the epidural in. It's the epidural that kills any walking because of the numbing. The IV pump for the pit and fluids was on a wheeled pole & I dragged that around with me as I walked the hallway.

But, then again, I guess it's different from hospital to hospital? I delivered at a specialized hospital due to my DD's heart defect, and their maternity ward just celebrated its 3rd anniversary earlier this month.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast