Default BLW and Vacation - FTM Questions

So we have begun to introduce solids to DD slowly. Just curious on our vacation next month what we should do in regards to her eating solids. We have a full kitchen in the condo and easily can go to the store and pick up whatever we need to feed her.

I'm more curious about what to do when we take her to restaurants to eat. I haven't given her any kind of Cheerio, puffs, mum-mums etc. Should I introduce it? Not worry about it? I don't want to give her items off my plate b/c of the potential sodium content. Should I just pack some fruit to take with us?

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Well, I wouldn't worry all that much about the sodium content of restaurant food. Most of the calorie intake is still breast milk/forumla, yk? I took freeze dried fruit and some Baby Mum Mums just to make sure she had something to do at the table. And I gave her toast, steamed veggies, etc. off my plate.

Catherine

We recently did a vacation when DS was 8.5 months. We brought puffs and mum-mums, more to keep him occupied at the table. If you give her puffs slowly one-by-one, each could take her a long time (to adults) to get through, particularly if she's still new to trying them, which will keep her busy and give you time to eat. I'd try them at home first a week or 2 before you go, if not sooner.

We also brought a few baby jar foods (Earth's Best). And gave fruit from our plates - honeydew, cantelope, grapes cut up into quarters or smaller. You could also try small bits of scrambled eggs or poached eggs (the white parts) from your plate. We even gave him a dinner roll, which he mostly just banged around. He mawed on it a little and probably ate a fraction, but it was more just a toy.

I'm stumped trying to figure out what BLW and FTM mean.
    Sarah

DS1 8/2010
    DS2 11/2012

BLW=Baby Led Weaning

Catherine

I've had very good luck at restaurants and BLW. First, most don't really care if you pack your own food and bring it along. I only once had someone question me about it. In that case, my argument (because it was true) was that they told me they couldn't accommodate his food allergies so I HAD to bring safe food for him. We still bring food in on a regular basis (esp crackers) because he can't eat the bread served at the beginning of the meal. So if we want to have bread...we have to have something comparable that he can eat.

Secondly, most restaurants are willing to accommodate special orders for DC. I get steamed veggies, fresh fruit bowls, and proteins like plain chicken breast or a small plain steak, or plain burger (no bun) all.the.time for DS.

I will note a couple of things that have helped us at restaurants.
    1. Go early to avoid the dinner or lunch rush.
    2. Bring utensils and straws from home (or have a pocket knife to cut the long straw to a more managable length). Most restaurants don't have kid sized/friendly utensils. This may not be a concern, yet, but in the future it will be helpful.
    3. Ask the waitstaff to put your DC's order in right away. Kids often can't wait like we can...and most restaurants are willing to put DC's order in first. OR bring a snack for the wait.
    4. Small, quiet toys help make your meal more enjoyable.
    5. Don't forget a bib! (We have some rockin disposable bibs that SIL gave us and we just keep a couple in the diaper bag at all times.)

HTH!
    Last edited by BabbyO; 06-17-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty21 View Post

I'm stumped trying to figure out what BLW and FTM mean.
    FTM = First Time Mom

We always just fed DD off of my plate. It was good because it encouraged me to make really healthy choices as well. I gave her fruits and veggies from my plate, tear up some bread for her. When I would order, i would ask if I could get my food without salt, then split out some food for DD and salt my portion separately. Also, I always travel with Mum Mums, Puffs and Crunchies in my bag so DD has something when we are waiting in restaurants. I also usually keep a package of Apple Sauce (the kind where you can squeeze the container and kind of suck it out) for DD which she loves. DD loves restaurants. She likes to look at all the people, flirt with the waiters/waitresses, "talk" to the other babies near by. Don't sweat it, it will be fine.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012