Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default !@#^$ Registration Fees!

This should probably go in the BP, but on the off chance that anyone has found a way around this...

There are 3 day camp/ summer enrichment programs that I am interested in for DD for a week or two this summer. The tuition for each is about the same, $20/day. But they all 3 have big fat registration fees! Why? One is $20, one is $35 and another is $40! I am going to offer to pay the full tuition up front when I register DD and see if they will let me not pay the registration fee. If the purpose is to put a deposit down, then having the full tuition should assure them that yes we are coming. Otherwise, I am seriously thinking of not doing anything this summer. Why do I need to pay you effing $30 to process my paperwork? It pisses me off that the tuition is so reasonable, but they stick it to you in the registration fees!

FWIW, these programs are all through churches (three different ones). The interesting thing is that each of these churches is having a VBS for week this summer separate from the day camps. The cost for VBS for the whole week is $15 to $20 for the same hours! 9 AM-12 PM. Maybe I should sign her up for 3 weeks of VBS.
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

I have never heard of a church charging for VBS.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would do one day camp and 1/2 vbs programs if I were in your shoes
    K

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have never charged for VBS.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post
    I have never heard of a church charging for VBS.
    Just to clarify, the church day camps are the ones with the registration fees & tuition. The VBSs are between $15 and $20 for the whole week. These are at a Methodist, Lutheran and Presbyterian churches, so very mainline. I don't think it's unreasonable to charge a token amount $15-$20 for a week of VBS.

It just *kills* me that the same two churches are turning around and charging $35 or $40 for a REGISTRATION FEE for their half day summer camp. And then on top of the registration fee is the $20/day tuition. Both programs VBS & day camp are the same hours! 9-12. It's crazy to have such a price difference IMO.

I'm wondering if the difference is that the church has money built into their budget to cover VBS, but the camps are not considered part of the ministry budget so they have to charge for it. Or are having to bring in specialized staff for the camp.

No idea, just speculating.

Like I said, I've never been aware of churches charging for VBS, but I know the churches I've been affiliated with do have VBS as part of their children's ministry budget.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

VBS fees range from free to $25 for the week around here.

For a camp held/hosted by a church, that would be a separate program. Sometimes even managed by a different organization just using the church's facilities. I do agree though, the registration fees seem crazy - mostly proportionally out of line with the total you're going to pay. I'd expect whatever tuition/fee I was paying to cover everything for the camp.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have to pay a yearly administrative fee if $40 for gymnastics. Annoying but it's well published and no getting out if it. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    I do agree though, the registration fees seem crazy - mostly proportionally out of line with the total you're going to pay. I'd expect whatever tuition/fee I was paying to cover everything for the camp.
    THANK YOU! That is what I wanted to hear! I want to send DD to this one camp and it is $110 for the week. Ok. Fine. But don't charge me another $40 and call it "registration"! If you want $150, charge for $150!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I have to pay a yearly administrative fee if $40 for gymnastics. Annoying but it's well published and no getting out if it. Good luck!
    Yeah, but that is a whole year of classes... This is a $40 registration fee for one week of day camp. The camp itself is $110. Doesn't that strike you as crazy that the registration fee is nearly half of the tuition?!?!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast