Default Help me to choose a balance bike!!!

I am interested in buying a balance bike for my 21 month old. I have two in mind Strider prebike versus G-bike original. The Strider is a little less than 7 pounds and the G-bike is less than 4 pounds. I am tempted to choose the G-bike for its weight. Have anyone tried both of these and which one did you decide to buy ultimately? Are you happy with your choice?

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't tried the Gbike, but we are happy with our strider. DD has been on it for a few months now. She's about 50%tile for height and it's a nice size for her. She has no problem picking it up and taking it where she wants to go.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

I am going to take my son to a local bike shop to get a helmet, is there a particular brand that has higher quality compared to others? Is there other protective gears I should consider to buy for him?

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i like that strider has the footrests...but not sure if that really matters.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son is the same age and I plan to get him a Kinderbike Laufraud Mini. I like that it has a handbrake.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

we love our strider! we got it when my son was 18 months

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by susanasou View Post
    I am going to take my son to a local bike shop to get a helmet, is there a particular brand that has higher quality compared to others? Is there other protective gears I should consider to buy for him?
    I think if you go to a local bike shops then they carry good brands. What is important is that it fits well. I think we tried a few for DS. What he has now is Specialized brand. I think they also have Giro brand.
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

Thanks for all the advices. I am gonna get the strider and pick up a helmet from a local bike shop. Should I get the elbow and knee pads too?
    Where do you get elbow/knee pads that don't already come with helmet. Bell's elbow and knee pads come with the helmet but I want to buy the helmet seperately. Any suggestion?

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just ordered from Bikes That Teach (I found them through Amazon). They have a 15% off coupon code on retailmenot, and also are having a sale right now where you get a free helmet with some balance bikes. But, it's probably better to try out the helmet in person. We tried a few before finding one that I really liked for my younger son. ETA: I don't plan to get elbow and knee pads, though. Hadn't thought of that...