Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I use a hotsling pouch with 2.5 y.o. DD. It's easy to get on/off in/out. I mostly hip carry, but can easily slide her around to my back if I'm cooking dinner or something where I don't want her reaching in front of me. I don't do a back carry for extended periods, though.

I have a Beco, but she refuses to ride in it, and it's a lot of trouble to get her all harnessed up in it when she typically wants to get up and down a lot.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

blue is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I used my Beco when DD1 was 2yo. Either back carry or rolled and used as a ledge for a hip carry. I eve back carried her while hiking hills scouting an Xmas tree when I was 6mos preggo with DD2 and she and I were both comfy.
    Rolling the carrier up and using it as a ledge might work well for DS...I wonder if that works with other carriers as well?.... It kind of sounds like my improvised purse carrier---easy for me to get DS up and down quick.
    DS1
    DS2
    DD1

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

There is the hippychick, but I've never tried it, and it's not hands free.

The patapum can also be rolled down and snapped.

I like the idea of back carriers and the ergo and others you ladies mentioned. But, I am wondering if they might work better for my DS out doors for longer periods of time... At home he wants to be picked up and carried around the house a lot lately, but not when we are out and about. I am not sure he would put up with an ergo or back carrier that would take longer to get in and out of (especially with my complete lack of experience with carriers )

Quote Originally Posted by rprav8r View Post
    I use a hotsling pouch with 2.5 y.o. DD. It's easy to get on/off in/out. I mostly hip carry, but can easily slide her around to my back if I'm cooking dinner or something where I don't want her reaching in front of me. I don't do a back carry for extended periods, though.

I have a Beco, but she refuses to ride in it, and it's a lot of trouble to get her all harnessed up in it when she typically wants to get up and down a lot.
    The sling idea sounds interesting, especially because DS likes to be on my hip at home.... Is that something I could make out of fabric?... or would it be better to buy since I am inexperienced with carriers?........ Thanks for all the input so far ladies, if you have anymore ideas/advice I am all ears... Also I checked out the babywearwebsite, looks useful, but a bit overwhelming (for me) to sort through now.
    DS1
    DS2
    DD1

Quote Originally Posted by ABO Mama View Post
    There is the hippychick, but I've never tried it, and it's not hands free.
    Oohh, I like the idea of the hippychick! .... any parents here used it before? .... It's funny, I was just thinking last night that I should get a fanny pack and use it to prop DS on my hip. It would certainly be easy up and down.
    DS1
    DS2
    DD1

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

A ring sling is super easy to make. All you need are a pair of rings (slingrings, not craft store rings, since they are not strong enough) and a few yards of fabric (I would suggest linnen). Since you are on thebabywearer, look at the DIY forum for lots of help making your own carrier (more DIY info here).

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I didn't even get my Ergo until my DD1 was 2.5 years old!! I back carried her all the time and it was great. I would strap it around my waist and squat down. I could ask her to get on my back for a piggy back ride, and then I could pull the carrier up. Worked great.

Momto1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I've got a Boba and DD (25 months) and I both love it!

I had an Ergo previously, but my DD was a "leaner" so I didn't feel comfortable with her being on my back and leaning back. The Boba is super comfy and easy to use.

I also think a ring sling for a hip carry might be a nice option for around the house.
    WOHM to DD, born 5/4/09

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

A ring sling would be easiest for the toddler getting in and out frequently. The hippy chick looks interesting, BUT it looks like it would be annoying when you are bending over w/o a kid on it, it would get in the way. I use my mei tai with a back carry for my soon-to-be 2 yr old and he loves it. I find that it works better for me, b/c I prefer to have his wt distributed btwn two shoulders, rather than just one in the ring sling. I don't like the ring sling when they are too heavy, but that's just me. I typically prefer two shoulder carriers, unless it's a very young/tiny baby.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Again: Scootababy!

for Sandy Hook

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast