Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    blue is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Question How to baby wear a 2 year old? Help please

Hi. I have only worn DS once or twice when he was a few months old (in some cheap evenflo carrier I no longer own). DS never seemed to like it... Lately DS wants to be held and carried around the house a lot (he is VERY clingy/ possible teething). Since he will be two years old this month, carrying him for any length of time is not easy..... Do any of you ladies have any suggestions for a carrier? Is their anything like a wrap i could make and use for him (I am not sure if that is the correct word, I don't know much about babywearing)? Currently I am using my cross body purse and sitting DS on the purse and he wraps his legs around my waist (it helps for short periods of time). Thanks
    DS1
    DS2
    DD1

I think a soft structured carrier with padding in the straps would work best. I know some people use woven (not stretchy) wraps with older kids, but I think of that as advanced baby wearing. An ergo might work, but I think there are some carriers designed for older kids and one of those might be better. No personal experience though. I'd check out the babywearer forums.

Catherine

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Something like an ERGO is good, but that might not be the best choice because the body length is somewhat short.

Maybe check out http://catbirdbaby.com// and contact Beth to see if she has suggestions. She is a BBB mom.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I use my Ergo all the time! It's perfect for toddlers. It has a weight capacity of 40 lb (although on their website they show that even a small adult can be carried in the Ergo!). I still carry my almost 4 year old DD around in it--just did yesterday in fact. She mostly walks when we go on outings, but every once in a while when she's tired or cranky she wants to be carried, and it's so much easier than carrying her in my arms. Plus your hands are free to carry other items or do housework, etc. She is 29 lb and DS is 15 months and 20 lb. It's very comfortable, my back doesn't hurt (I never had the Bjorn but my sister had both and she said the Ergo is way better). Both DD and DS prefer the Ergo to riding in strollers. (Both of them are clingy and like to be carried a lot). I always bring both the double stroller and the Ergo and we end up pushing the stroller as a giant diaper bag cart. You can use the Ergo in front or back (I usually do front carry). It's also very simple to put on and use and adjust (I had also bought a Beco but I didn't like it because it was more difficult to put on and to unsnap the straps). The Ergo sounds perfect for your needs...you should try it! It's one of my best baby purchases ever!
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our 2yos are about 50th %tile in weight and height and can still ride in the Beco butterfly, though I'd recommend the Beco for smaller kids. I would only recommend the back carry for toddlers.

I've tried them in an Ergo before too and that works just as well, but with a bit of a learning curve to get into a back carry. The Ergo would work better for a larger child (I think). It is wider, and I would think that being shorter in the back would be fine for a 2yo - they don't need support as high up the back.

The toddler Patapum is made specifically for toddlers (and even preschoolers) so that might be a good option too.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenpig View Post
    I use my Ergo all the time! It's perfect for toddlers. It has a weight capacity of 40 lb (although on their website they show that even a small adult can be carried in the Ergo!). I still carry my almost 4 year old DD around in it--just did yesterday in fact. She mostly walks when we go on outings, but every once in a while when she's tired or cranky she wants to be carried, and it's so much easier than carrying her in my arms. Plus your hands are free to carry other items or do housework, etc. She is 29 lb and DS is 15 months and 20 lb. It's very comfortable, my back doesn't hurt (I never had the Bjorn but my sister had both and she said the Ergo is way better). Both DD and DS prefer the Ergo to riding in strollers. (Both of them are clingy and like to be carried a lot). I always bring both the double stroller and the Ergo and we end up pushing the stroller as a giant diaper bag cart. You can use the Ergo in front or back (I usually do front carry). It's also very simple to put on and use and adjust (I had also bought a Beco but I didn't like it because it was more difficult to put on and to unsnap the straps). The Ergo sounds perfect for your needs...you should try it! It's one of my best baby purchases ever!
    still carrying around my 38lb 3 year old. Back carry is best for me now that he's so big, otherwise I can't see over his head! I'd also second that it was one of the best baby purchases for me.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

For what you're describing, I think the Scootababy would be a great option. I use mine for hip carries with DD2 and wish I had had somethingike that when DD1 was an older toddler.

for Sandy Hook

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I used my Beco when DD1 was 2yo. Either back carry or rolled and used as a ledge for a hip carry. I eve back carried her while hiking hills scouting an Xmas tree when I was 6mos preggo with DD2 and she and I were both comfy.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

actually, I've been a huge ergo fan, and have loved mine, but PP's post about the Patapum made me curious. When I looked for it, I found that the site where I saw the Patapum was clearance saling that and replacing it in their store with the boba.
    http://www.theportablebaby.com/bobaorganic.html

I'm intrigued by the Boba, the foot (stirrups) and wider seat are nice features. And the organic one is made in US
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The ergo has a short body, so it's not the best choice for an older baby who leans. A ssc with a taller body will suit your needs better. The Oh Snap! by BabyHawk, or the Toddler Patapum are both good choices. I also have a Scootababy, and it is an excellent hip carrier (it's only downside is that it is limited to only hip carries, so if you have touchy shoulders, skip this one). Woven wraps also work really well for toddlers (a stretchy wrap, like moby, will not work).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast