Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Slowing down a Playset slide

We just installed a Playset in our yard for our children. The only problem we have with it is the slide is just way too fast! I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what you could do to make the slide slower. I'm not sure if there is some type of friction modifier that can be sprayed onto it or if it can be sanded with a certain grit paper to scuff it up. I have no idea how to make it slower LoL.

The Playset we have is the Lifetime Heavy-Duty Metal Playset with Clubhouse (Earthtone).

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If it's not too hot....skin! Have your child either put their bare legs down on the slide when they go down, or to put their feet down and that will slow them way down.

I was thinking of using a friction modifier and painting a thin stripe down the middle of it (something like Skid-Safe). If it wasn't slowing them down enough, I would just make the stripe wider until it slowed them down enough.

I also considered sanding it but I think that would ruin the UV protectant seal. I'm not really sure what else to do at this point but I can't seem to find anyone else that has this problem LoL.

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't know how to slow it down but we have a slide like that and it's also super fast. On really hot days we put the waterhose on it and the kids slide halfway across the yard!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'd be hesitant to do something to permanently slow it down. My kids love going fast, but they're 7, 5, and nearly 3. The 7 yo would be bored with it being a slow slide.

Have them wear shoes and put their feet down to slow them up.
    Kris

Hmmm, I'm not sure my 2 year old will understand that. He may just look at me funny

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is it possible to change the angle at the bottom so it isn't quite as steep? Maybe put a bag of dirt under the bottom or some other soft but sturdy filler? That might slow it down a little.

I actually have it up about 10 inches off the ground at the bottom (and built up with dirt/mulch) because the yard is sloped. It's about 88 inches out and 50 inches high, so it's .568 (ratio) and the spec for playground safety is less than .577 for 2 years and up. No matter how high I move it in the air, it really doesn't help. It seems like the slide is just way too slippery.

Even when I watch the product video for it, i think to myself, jeeeeeze these kids are coming down the slide so fast...

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rezolution View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not sure my 2 year old will understand that. He may just look at me funny
    Show him what you mean. My kids and the neighborhood kids all figured it out at 2 or younger. My youngest has been climbing and sliding since he was 11 months. There is a good chance if you teach him, he'll learn.
    Kris

Have you asked the manufacturer? I'd start there.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast