Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Both DD and DS were born overseas, and I only had a shower for DD, hosted by my friends. My family (other than my mother and one aunt) could not attend. Since DC#3 will be born stateside, my aunts are hosting a baby party with punch & cake at one of their homes, the day after our big annual family reunion in July. I told my mother that we don't need anymore stuff, so it's not really a "shower" so much as it will be simply a celebratory gathering for family. I just really wanted to get together with my aunts & cousins etc because we didn't get to do that for DD or DS.
    DD 2/06
    DS1 2/09
    DS2 12/11

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I didn't have a shower for #1. (I was supposed to, but I was planning to fly to it. I went into labor instead and got put on bed rest.)

We moved to our current neighborhood when DS was almost 2 1/2. When I got pregnant with #2, the neighbors said they wanted to have a shower for her/me. Since we were in a completely new area, with people who had not known us for DS's birth, it seemed okay to do that.

I needed very little, even with boy/girl, but I thought I should have a registry just in case. I did not register for "big boy" items for DS, but I did register for decor items for the kids' shared bathroom. That's what we needed, and it was for the new baby, too.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

A question to show my ignorance ... is a "sprinkle" a little shower, or just a synonym for shower or what?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    A question to show my ignorance ... is a "sprinkle" a little shower, or just a synonym for shower or what?
    A little shower. Scale back a shower and there you go.

BEth

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ABO Mama View Post
    I see it as a celebration of a new baby, and every new baby deserves a party!
    That's how I feel too. I love to buy a baby gift and just scale back a little on cost for subsequent children. So fun to see the mama etc.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Under these circumstances: DC 2 years apart, same gender, a multiple big showers and gifts the first time 'round, and your mother as the hostess...No Way!

If there were 5 years between them and they were opposite genders, I'd say a shower was fine, but not in these circumstances. I would ask your mom tho throw you a "Welcome Baby Tea" or a "Baby Sprinkle" (Dipes & Wipes).
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think every baby deserves a celebration. I am so glad I have baby shower pics from DD2 to share with her some day since we have an amazing collection from DD1. Baby showers should not be just about gifts but about celebrating a new life!

For DD2, we did a "celebrate baby" party with family and friends (not just women) and asked the hostess to specifically say no gifts. About half the people complied with the "no gifts" request and the other half brought something small for both DDs. We didn't go a big present opening thing like we did for DD1's shower, but I opened presents with most gift givers as they gave them. We ate, hung out, played with kids - it was a fun party before embarking on the craziness of life with 2. I would say do it!

for Sandy Hook

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm attending a shower for a friend of mine tonight. She's having her third girl. We pretty much forced into this shower! Around here in my social circle showers are done for every baby. They aren't big expensive affairs. Most often people bring small gifts (clothes or diapers are common) but it is really an excuse to get together and celebrate and I personally love it! My friend with the three girls has said she doesn't need a thing and she means it. She wants everyone, anyone in our group to come with a gift or not. We are just excited for our friend and her beautiful baby girl!

I just thought I'd add that when DS was born, many friends just gave us diapers and wipes and I think that is standard in the military community for subsequent children. Our children's birthdays are close together, so at DD's 3rd birthday party, many people just brought gifts (books, sleepers, stuffed animals) for DS to DD's party.
    DD 2/06
    DS1 2/09
    DS2 12/11

We just had DS2 and we didn't have a "shower". I was asked several times if I wanted one and I just said that a small get together with just family was sufficient. I made it clear to everyone that gifts are not necessary but should they bring something, we prefer diapers, wipes, and gift card. It turned out well and we were happy to celebrate the occassion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast