Thread: Bottles

Default Bottles

Hello there!!
    I'm a first time mom. I'm planning on breastfeeding until I have to go back to work. Pumping will not be an option when I go back after maternity leave. I'd appreciate some advice on what bottles to use for when I switch to formula.
    I'm a little overwhelmed, there's so many kinds!!

Thanks so much!!

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We love dr browns bottles, helped with the gas and we have gotten very good at washing them quickly. We used the munchkin drying rack as it was better than the dr browns.

we used the cheap evenflo classics with my girls. they come in glass and plastic and both are fine. cheap, simple to understand, easy to clean. we tried some fancier more expensive ones but saw no benefit to those over the cheap ones. One of my girls was a spitter but she spit up from the breast, too, which is supposed to be perfect, so i don't place much value in fancy expensive bottles. I say start cheap and go from there if needed.

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We loved Dr. Browns for a gassy baby. For one that didn't need those, we loved Tommee Tippee.
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

We use Born Free glass. I love how glass washes up in the dishwasher. We've also used Avent before everything was BPA free. Both have fewer parts than Dr. Browns so easier washing, but Born Free don't have as few parts as some other types of bottles.
    Mom to DS1 10.06, DS2 05.09, DD 05.11 and DS 05.11

My lactation consultant suggest the Even Flo classic but DD finally only ended up taking Playtex Nurser with the brown latex nipple. Very little gas or spit up from those.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Try each bottle, stick with what baby likes. DS did fine with AVENT and they are nice and simple to wash. I used the gold tone bottles. I used the first years drying rack. I have seen kids in DS's daycare using medela bottles, platex nursers, dr browns, generic bottles, and NUK with no problems.. I did a bit of research and decided against dr browns because of all the parts. DS was three months old when we really started bottles. I would also consider tommee tippee now, it wasn't available at the time.

ETA- some daycares don't allow glass bottles!
    DS 6/09

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Playtex Drop Ins are my favorite with Avent (the honey tinted ones) being a close second. I started DD1 out on Playtex Vent Aire bottles so she always needed a wide nipple. I hated the extra parts from those getting lost in the sink or pulling them out of the disposal. We also used the Avents as sippy cups.

With DD2 we did start with the Medela bottles, but DD2 had reflux and these weren't good for her. Dr. Browns really did help but she ended up with nipple confusion (she'd suck my nipple like it was a narrow nipple and it was uncomfortable) so we went to Avent. Those worked okay, but she still spit up. On a whim I tried Playtex Drop Ins and the spit up and gas pains were gone. I am now a firm believer in the drop in system. As soon as DD2 gets enough teeth she'll be on the Avent cups as sippies full time.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)