Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJ View Post
    In natural birthing circle, this is VERY VERY common.
    See it a lot in the SF Bay Area. Generally it gets painted and is very artistic. I think my doula even throws it in with her package.

I personally don't want one because I don't know what I'd do with it. But I have seen some that are kind of cool looking. I guess its all about celebrating the female body at its most natural state - and I kind of like that concept, just not for me.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've done one with both of my pregnancies. My best friends did it for me when I was pregnant with DS1 and since we were living far away from friends and family when I was pregnant with DS2 I had to have DBF do it for me. It's a lot of fun and a great way to capture the pregnancy! They're super easy and you don't have to buy an actual "kit" since you can just buy the plaster strips at Michaels craft store for $5 a roll. All you need are the plaster strips, a plastic tarp, some vaseline to protect your skin, and some water. This site has a lot of pictures of decorated belly casts: http://www.proudbody.com/articles.asp?id=162

My first cast I had displayed in our living room on a small table with a framed picture of DS1 and a small buddha statue next to it. I haven't gotten around to sealing and trimming DS2's cast yet. I really want to do a mosaic of tiles all over both of them but I have never seen a belly cast decorated this way before. I want the tree of life on DS2's cast. I'd like to punch holes in them and hang them on the wall with ribbon-- DS1's in my bathroom over our whirlpool tub, and DS2's in his room.

Here's a comparison of both my casts right after I made DS2's cast. I painted the world on myself and written around it are DS1's birth stats-- height, weight, time of birth, place of birth (my grandma's house!)

ETA: Just found this site for a woman who will make you a custom mosaic belly cast-- for $3500-$5000!!!!! I think I'll just do it myself for $30! http://www.kristakeimmosaics.com/
    Last edited by essnce629; 06-27-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

logan's mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I haven't done one but a friend of mine has. She is one of those super tiny basketball bellied women so I could see why she won't mind having a cast of it. Her plan is it to use it for pictures once the baby is born. She wants to flip it upside down put a blanket in it and lay the baby in it. If it works out, I think it will be a cool picture.

Quote Originally Posted by logan's mom View Post
    Her plan is it to use it for pictures once the baby is born. She wants to flip it upside down put a blanket in it and lay the baby in it. If it works out, I think it will be a cool picture.
    That's *awesome*!!!
    mom to one sweet little girl born in late '08
    and -surprise!- one sweet little boy born in late '11

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a friend who did just belly casts - not the breasts - and has them displayed on her sideboard in her dining room like bowls. I noticed them and commented and she confirmed they were belly castings!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2