Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Holy Hunger!

Ok, this is crazy. I did not eat much yesterday and I gained 1.2 lbs?! I know alot of it is water. I carried an inoridinate amount of water with DD. The Dr's kept testing me for things and kept thinking I was pre-eclamptic because I was so puffy. But 1.2 lbs over night? I have gained almost 6 lbs now and I am only 6 weeks!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Not to be too gross but...have you gone to the bathroom today? That can also add some weight...

7pages is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I was always starving with every pregnancy and gained 40 lbs each time. Cheese was my saving grace. It was the only thing that made me feel full for a little while. I ate cheddar by the pound and string cheese too!!
    Mommy of 5!

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 7pages View Post
    I was always starving with every pregnancy and gained 40 lbs each time. Cheese was my saving grace. It was the only thing that made me feel full for a little while. I ate cheddar by the pound and string cheese too!!
    OP, don't worry...I gained 12 lb in the first trimester but didn't gain anymore weight with that pregnancy than I did with my previous one.

Just to reassure you OP, increased appetite only during pregnancy doesn't have anything to do with gestational diabetes. Obesity prior to pregnancy can be a risk factor though. Basically, the pregnancy hormones released by the placenta interfere with how the pancreas processes sugars, essentially blocking insulin so that the pregnant woman becomes insulin resistant.

I have it with my current pregnancy, not diagnosed until 28 weeks. And, I had it with my first pregnancy. I ate healthfully, my entire first pregnancy and have done so with this pregnancy, even following the diet this time that I had to use after my diagnosis the first time, but, frustratingly, I was still diagnosed. Diabetes and other endocrine issues run in my family, and I had abnormal thyroid results just before each diagnoses.

Basically, I'm limited to 1750 calories and limited carbs for every meal and snack. I gained 15 pounds during my first pregnancy and have gained about 16 pounds this pregnancy at 36 weeks. I tend to lose or not gain during the third trimester. I lost 3 pounds in one week recently.

Good luck dealing with the hunger! I hope it gets better for you

Quote Originally Posted by 7pages View Post
    Yeah, that was me with DD. DH mastered a shredded cheddar crispy melt on the toaster oven that I practically lived on!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2