Default Mastitis & Milk Supply

Hi. I'm nursing my 2 month old twins and have mastitis (uggh - I forgot how much I hate this part of nursing - it's been a few years since I've had it). I don't remember, but does this affect your milk supply? It seems that the babies are hungrier than normal. I have no appetite but am forcing myself to eat and drink (which is normally not an issue for me when nursing). TIA!
    Mom to DS1 10.06, DS2 05.09, DD 05.11 and DS 05.11

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I had it soooo many times and it did seem to affect the supply on the side I kept getting it on.

I'd contact a LC, esp. as you are BFg twins.

Lots of water & oatmeal worked for me, but I only BFd a singleton. Don't forget to take Advil or Tylenol for pain relief. AND REST LOTS, its a major infection, your body needs to recover.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It can make your supply take a hit because the ducts are clogged by the infection.

I found that the Gerber gel packs heated in our microwave for 15 seconds before AND after I nursed my daughter helped the milk flow a bit better when we dealt with mastitis last October.

You can also try a hot shower & direct the water at your breast while you massage it or do compressions/hand expressions.

It's actually really important to nurse frequently on the affected side so you get everything moving & adequately drain the breast or else the infection can come back.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

OK. Thanks, ladies - just making sure I wasn't going crazy since I've been doing the heat/showers/massage/nursing non-stop thing. Between the 2 of them and the seemingly low supply on the one side, I've been nursing non-stop for 2 days. I'm feeling better today so I gave up on the wondering and pumped to see what the status was and sure enough, the one side (which is usually my better supply side) was a lot less than the other side. I'll just keep on keeping on - I've gotten through it before with my other kids so hopefully it will improve again and now that I'm feeling better, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (I hate mastitis!!!)
    Mom to DS1 10.06, DS2 05.09, DD 05.11 and DS 05.11

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It effected mine. The side I got it didn't produce as much as the other. What surprised me was that once I recovered and even after 2 months, that side never went back to the regular production.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had it 3 times.

I don't think I was ever able to get the clog out, it just went away on it's own. I could feel the lump (felt almost like a mini hershey's candy bar) in my breast get smaller and smaller each day. I tried EVERYTHING. I felt like I was working on getting that clog out 24 hours a day.

The first 2 times it took close to 2 weeks to get my supply back. I was exclusively pumping and religiously keeping track of how much my output was.

However, the 3rd time I got it was 2 weeks after the 2nd time I got it. In fact, I think I got it the day or 2nd day my supply came back. My supply was never the same since then. =(

Hope you feel better soon.