Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How do you handle the alcohol issue at parties (early pregnancy)???

Ok, so we have a family function to go to tomorrow. Usually at family functions, if there is alcohol, I am always drinking. I'm only 6 weeks along and don't feel it's appropriate to tell family that i'm pregnant (i have had 2 early miscarriages before). BUT if I turn down a drink they will all know something is up. Not sure what to do. And they asked us to bring the beer/sangria to boot!!!!! I'll probably get flamed for this but I was thinking of walking around with a sangria with lots of ice and taking just a sip or two?? And hopefully no one will notice it's still the first glass 4 hrs later.....

I think your idea is fine. I have walked around with a mostly empty beer bottle at parties so I don't get asked why I'm not drinking. Or there are the usual excuses: on a prescription and told not to drink, headache, upset stomach, drank too much last night, etc.

You could tell them that you are watching your weight and avoiding the empty calories. I also will do things like get a glass with cranberry juice and let people assume it is cranberry with vodka. The same with tonic water only without the gin.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think your plan is fine. I did something similar when I went to book club at 8 weeks pregnant. Those ladies are always watching who is drinking and will call you on it (in a friendly way). I too had 3 early losses so I wasn't ready to out myself until after our NT test.

You can also tell them you are the DD so you can't drink at all or can't drink much. If you have a drink in your hand I'm sure they won't notice it's alcohol free!
    Last edited by ashleybama24; 06-30-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: major typos!

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When I had to go to a wedding newly pregnant, I had the bartender make fruity drinks or clear drinks (sprite) so it looked like I was drinking alcohol. No one ever questioned it.
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

momm is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would try to carry a non-alcoholic drink in a glass that looks alcoholic.
    If that's not possible, I would go with your plan except for the sipping (NOT judging you or flaming you). I would spill some down the sink and carry it around half-full

----------------------------------------------------------------

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I did the POAS thing on 4th of July the year I got pregnant and DH didn't want his mom to suspect anything so he took an empty aluminum Miller Lite bottle & filled it with water for me.

Unfortunately, he made such a big production of it, his mom suspected it anyway but she had the decency not to say anything until we were ready to tell her.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

"Thanks, but I'm the designated driver tonight."
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by L'sMommy View Post
    And they asked us to bring the beer/sangria to boot!!!!! I'll probably get flamed for this but I was thinking of walking around with a sangria with lots of ice and taking just a sip or two?? And hopefully no one will notice it's still the first glass 4 hrs later.....
    I would do that with no problem at all if it made me feel better and less nervous about people thinking you are pregnant. With DD1 I had my 10 yr. high school reunion three days after I found out I was pregnant with DD1. It was easier for me to have a single beer there and a glass of wine at my parents house. With DD2 we went to my parents house over labor day weekend I had a few glasses of wine there over the four days we were there. I didn't stress out about it.

Just do what you are comfortable with. Congratulations
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast