Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Great suggestions from everybody above. I had to do a New Year's party before I was ready to go public about being pregnant with DS. I worried a lot about it, but nobody even noticed I was walking around with OJ... they were all too hammered!

Since you guys are bringing drinks, perhaps you could bring some mixers in addition to the sangria.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think your plan is fine. I went to a NYE party when newly pg w/DD2. I would bring my drink into the bathroom and dump some down the sink, or have it in the kitchen and dump some there when no one was looking. I would also do the fake sip.

BTW - Congrats and GL with your coverup!!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think your plan will work as well. When I was newly pregnant with DS1, I went to a BBQ with my family. They would be highly suspicious if I didn't drink, so I just carried a bottle of beer around with me, taking fake sips. DH would chug it every now and again so it emptied. When we were visiting with DH's family later, I drank soda and said something about a sinus infection and antibiotics. They totally saw through that.

With DS2 I had my best friend's bachelorette party. I had half a glass of wine with dinner and then luckily we went to a club that had the big shared drinks. So I just pretended to draw from the straws. No one was the wiser

Congrats!!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think the idea is fine. If it would be a give away I'd accept a drink and have DH take big sips, take a few myself here and there, sips won't hurt, seriously. I sort of did this with my mom when I suspected pregnancy and didn't want to say "Hey, I might be pregnant." I poured us each a glass of wine, and poured most of my back in the bottle when she walked away. We were on the deck and I tipped a bit more out when she went to the bathroom. Then Just sipped less than a quarter of a glass.

I honestly bet no one will notice like you think they will. I was at a party last weekend where a friend announced she was pregnant, and she was like "Didn't you noticed I wasn't drinking at the last party?" which was like a month earlier... I was like, no... I don't really pay attention to what people are drinking, unless they're at the point where they've drunk so much they're making an ass of themself...

eta - my dad was a detective, and I tend to pride myself on having an eye for details... but how much or what someone drinks at a party isn't on my radar!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3