Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default ISO protein bar recipe (or similar)

or any good recipe for a high-protein/high calorie snack. i just realized i probably spend like $3-$5 a day on protein bars, and it would be so much more economical (not to mention healthier probably!) if i could just make something myself with raw ingredients. i have no idea though, never made this kind of thing before!

i need something really high-protein (preferably lots of nuts, for extra calories that will keep me fuller longer). for some background, am so freaking hungry all.the.time (DD was a premie, is EBF and she is now 15 lbs and not even 3mo adjusted age yet). We did actually hire a personal chef to come over a couple times a month to cook healthy, delicious food for us, but it is really $$$ and so we need to start pinching pennies elsewhere. having the chef service cut down on our eating out tremendously, but the grocery bill is still decently high. i realized it's because i spend a lot on protein bars (clif bars, luna bars, etc) since i eat 2 or 3 per day (in addition to 3 large meals). I would love to not have to buy these and be able to just eat something i made myself. As a SAHM of 2 under 2 I do not have time to sit down to eat a snack or even nuke something in the microwave, so something i could bake and then later cut up into bars that i could just grab would be ideal.

TIA!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This is not a bar, but I make a really big batch of granola. Keep it on my counter in a couple of glass canisters and scoop out and eat dry, on top of yogurt or with milk.

The measurements are approximate and I change up the ingredients for each batch depending on what I have on hand. It's hard to really mess it up.

(in the same area in my grocery store as the oatmeal they sell Old Wessex 5 grain cereal. It's a mix of oats, rye, tritcale, barley, and golden flax and it's a good subsitute for all oats.)

5 cups of oats
    1 cup of almond slivers
    1 cup of chopped walnuts
    1 cup of sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup of shredded coconut
    1/2 cup of chia seeds
    1/2 cup of sesame seeds
    1/2 cup of flax seed ground
    1 cup of maple syrup
    1 cup of oil (I like 1/3 of olive oil, coconut oil and sesame)

mix together and bake (350*) for 30-40 minutes As it starts to become golden in color, I add 1 cup of raisions or craisins and bake another 5-10 minutes

It will crisp up as it cools.

these are great, i will have to try these..thanks!!!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I made the Alton Brown ones a few years ago and you really, really, really need to oil the pan/ line it with parchment. It's a bear to deal with otherwise. But very tasty.

Beth

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just came across this recipe - looks really good, though it has a few odd ingredients that you might not have in your home (I don't):

http://www.healthyindulgences.net/20...ssst.html#more
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Someone here makes their own Lara bars with cashews and dates. There are old threads on it.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I make baked oatmeal bars for my DD at least once a week. she gobbles them down, and i feel better knowing they're mostly healthy and no yuck stuff in them (i use applesauce instead of butter). they are super super easy to make. plus we can eat them on the go . DD only likes mini choc chips (of course ) but you could add dried berries and nuts however you like.

Baked Oatmeal

3 cups rolled oats
    ½ cup brown sugar (or ¼ c. each, brown sugar & splenda)
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup melted butter (or ½ c. nonsweetened applesauce)
    1 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3/4 cup dried berries (or ½c. mini chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients: oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients: milk, eggs, melted butter or applesauce, and vanilla extract. Fold wet into dry ingredients. Stir in dried berries or chocolate chips. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes.

I adapted this recipe (it comes out as bars, not mushy like the photo):
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-o...ii/detail.aspx

hth,
    anne

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    thanx again for this, i finally made this tonite...didn't take too long, actually i think it took me longer to shop for all the ingredients than to actually put everything together!

i took beth's advice and used parchment paper and oiled it pretty well, so i had no probs taking it out once it was done.

anyway it came out pretty good. ds seems to like it a lot too.

i should say though, there is NO WAY there are "24 servings". at least, not how i eat. dh says we'd be lucky if this lasts 48 hours. lol

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    thanx again for this, i finally made this tonite...didn't take too long, actually i think it took me longer to shop for all the ingredients than to actually put everything together!

i took beth's advice and used parchment paper and oiled it pretty well, so i had no probs taking it out once it was done.

anyway it came out pretty good. ds seems to like it a lot too.

i should say though, there is NO WAY there are "24 servings". at least, not how i eat. dh says we'd be lucky if this lasts 48 hours. lol
    Hmmm makes me think I want to try it too! I never get to eat breakfast at home. It's too hard - I have a bag of cereal at work that I pour a bowl of when I sit down and catch up on work emails. This would be nice for something different...is it chewy like a granola bar?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast