Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Your 2-3 yo's favorite toys...(it's Bday time!)

DS is turning 2 in a few weeks, and I need some suggestions! What are your toddler's favorite toys, both inside and out? He has puzzles and books, obviously, and an indoor soft play climber, as well as some riding toys for outside including a second-hand Kettler I just got (for free! yippee!) It's hard for me to know what stage will be next and what he's big/old enough to enjoy...

Some thoughts: sand/water table, art easel

Any big winners in your house?

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD loves her easel...gets daily play at our house. Also, she's warming up to her balance bike.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by barkley1 View Post
    DS is turning 2 in a few weeks, and I need some suggestions! What are your toddler's favorite toys, both inside and out? He has puzzles and books, obviously, and an indoor soft play climber, as well as some riding toys for outside including a second-hand Kettler I just got (for free! yippee!) It's hard for me to know what stage will be next and what he's big/old enough to enjoy...

Some thoughts: sand/water table, art easel

Any big winners in your house?
    Big winners here are
    Haba Orchard (got for Christmas when he was 2 and STILL loves it at almost 4)
    Imaginext Fire Station (3rd birthday gift)
    Gamewright Hiss (around 3rd birthday)
    Melissa and DOug alphabet puzzle (uses to spell words, etc)
    Melissa and doug magnetic pattern toy
    balance bike

Leapfrog Letter Factory
    Leapfrog Talking Words Factory
    Bob the Builder On Site DVDs
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

At that age, my kids have really enjoyed little tools to imitate/help us with. A child sized broom, rake, shovel, swiffer w/ a section removed to make it shorter. Not the most exciting, but that stuff has gotten a ton of play value here through the years. Looking through a Montessori site like Forsmallhands always gave me fun ideas for kids that age.

DS1 got his balance bike for his 3rd bday and that was the perfect time for him. DD started riding the handmedown balance bike at 2.5 and was riding a regular pedal bike (without training wheels) at 3.5. So 2-3 is a good age IME for a balance bike, but some kids will be ready sooner, and others a little later (my son was much more conservative at that age than my DD).

Simple games starting at age 3 (Zingo, Memory type games, etc)

For a 2 yo, something like a Learning Tower? We got ours when DS1 was maybe 18 months and we still use it 6 years later.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    At that age, my kids have really enjoyed little tools to imitate/help us with. A child sized broom, rake, shovel, swiffer w/ a section removed to make it shorter. Not the most exciting, but that stuff has gotten a ton of play value here through the years. Looking through a Montessori site like Forsmallhands always gave me fun ideas for kids that age.

DS1 got his balance bike for his 3rd bday and that was the perfect time for him. DD started riding the handmedown balance bike at 2.5 and was riding a regular pedal bike (without training wheels) at 3.5. So 2-3 is a good age IME for a balance bike, but some kids will be ready sooner, and others a little later (my son was much more conservative at that age than my DD).

Simple games starting at age 3 (Zingo, Memory type games, etc)
    my son was ready for games sooner. He played "Go Away Monster" and Candyland at barely 2. Haba Orchard at 2y4m (as noted). Chutes and Ladders by age 3.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

geotrax
    magnatiles
    big trucks
    rody
    discovery toys castle marbleworks
    unit blocks
    duplos
    "Someday, I am going to go to bed without toys on the floor and sippys in my sink. Things will stay where I put them and I can have nice, fragile items on display. But when I do, I will look around with a wistfullness in my heart and miss the days where vibrant imaginations ran wild and there was evidence of life happening around me all the time!"

Outdoor:
    Balance bike (small, light one)
    LT lawnmower, play blower and chainsaw
    Big sandbox with shovels, buckets etc
    Big Tonka truck
    Play wheelbarrow
    Balls

Indoor:
    DS2 loves figurines such as horses, dragons, dinosaurs, knights, pirates, animals and the like. Ours range from Playmobile, Pappo, Schleich, lego men, and other random things.
    Bruder trucks (garbage truck, flatbed trucks with bulldozer and backhoe)
    Magnatiles
    Wooden traintracks and trains
    Big cardboard blocks - we have 3 full sets and we can really build big towers and tunnels for play trucks and cars
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 2.5 year old loves anything firetruck or digger. I got him a helmet and he runs around playing fireman.
    He has a FP garage that all my kids think is way cool http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...PX8MATGV5VB9KZ
    He loves magnatiles, duplo blocks with the wheelie cars.
    He loves the workbench that is a hand me down from his 17 yo uncle. My mother has it in her playroom and he loves it.
    Thomas is also a huge hit.
    I also got him some discontinued Little Tikes trucks on ebay- like this http://cgi.ebay.com/LITTLE-TIKES-SEM...item3a67a1d47f
    Megablocks makes some ride on toys from CAT (the construction company). My son loves his.
    Last edited by swissair81; 07-03-2011 at 05:07 PM.

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    I also got him some discontinued Little Tikes trucks on ebay- like this http://cgi.ebay.com/LITTLE-TIKES-SEM...item3a67a1d47f
    We love this truck as well!! It is a huge hit at playgroups.
    "Someday, I am going to go to bed without toys on the floor and sippys in my sink. Things will stay where I put them and I can have nice, fragile items on display. But when I do, I will look around with a wistfullness in my heart and miss the days where vibrant imaginations ran wild and there was evidence of life happening around me all the time!"

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

costumes! my 3yo has spent a year dressing up. He any costume!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast