Default App is too short to search

I remember a thread a while back on the best Apps for pre and post delivery. I'm looking for a good one, free preferably, for tracking labor pains. I prefer Android market, but I also have an iPod touch and Mac.
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

Hey, funny you should ask! My DH has been developing an Android app for timing labor contractions (he's a total computer geek, and he made a prototype that we used when I went into labor about two weeks ago). Anyway, his app isn't on the marketplace yet--he mostly did it as preparation for a class he's teaching this fall and he wants to refine it some first. I don't mean to hijack your post, Claki, but he had a couple of questions/thoughts about how to make it better. If you (or anyone else) cares to offer input, here's what he wanted to know:
    1. Would you like the app to tell you when you're actually meeting the requirements to go to the hospital (contractions are sufficiently close together, etc.), or do you prefer it just log the info for the contractions you record? When we used the app for my labor, we didn't necessarily track every single contraction, so the metrics were a little off...
    2. Would you like the app to be linked to googlemaps (or something similar) so that, once you're ready to go to the hospital or birthing center, driving directions automatically pop up?
    3. Any other cool features you'd like to see?
    Claki, if you're interested in using the beta version of my DH's app, we'll be happy to get it to you for free. Just PM me. DH would be happy for whatever feedback you have! Otherwise, I'm *sure* there are some similar apps already on the market...hope you find one you like!
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Try keyword search "android" instead of "app". App'd just get you 30,000 ipad threads anyway.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by misshollygolightly View Post
    1. Would you like the app to tell you when you're actually meeting the requirements to go to the hospital (contractions are sufficiently close together, etc.), or do you prefer it just log the info for the contractions you record? When we used the app for my labor, we didn't necessarily track every single contraction, so the metrics were a little off...
    2. Would you like the app to be linked to googlemaps (or something similar) so that, once you're ready to go to the hospital or birthing center, driving directions automatically pop up?
    1. I would but I also wouldn't want the liability if someone waited for this app to tell them to go to the hospital and ended up having a baby at their house or car. Some people also prefer to labor at home while others prefer hospital and will go the second they can.
    2. This is a great idea! It would even be nice to see where the current traffic is so you don't get stuck in rush hour on a busy road.
    3. A friend used another app and it only logged a certain number of contractions rather than the whole time. It might also be nice to track contractions over several days in case they stop and start. What about a graph that showed the contraction pattern? How about other options for other symptoms...did your water break...what time? Did you lose your muscus plug...what time?

I used contraction master. I'm not sure about an android app as we used it the mac and iphone.

I'll give it a try, though I'm not really sure what I want an a contraction app! I have been having sporadic painful contractions all week, mixed with low back pain and also what feels like gas pains. So I am not even sure what I count as a contraction, especially until it's over and then I see how long it lasted. Like if the pain lasts five minutes, then its probably not a contraction. So I could see getting misleading data from that.

1. I agree with PP's comment about liability. But I would want the app to be clear about how close the contractions are coming.

2. Cool idea!

3. Nothing else comes to mind! I'm not sure what I would want an app like this to do.
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

Quote Originally Posted by misshollygolightly View Post
    Hey, funny you should ask! My DH has been developing an Android app for timing labor contractions (he's a total computer geek, and he made a prototype that we used when I went into labor about two weeks ago). Anyway, his app isn't on the marketplace yet--he mostly did it as preparation for a class he's teaching this fall and he wants to refine it some first. I don't mean to hijack your post, Claki, but he had a couple of questions/thoughts about how to make it better. If you (or anyone else) cares to offer input, here's what he wanted to know:
    Claki, if you're interested in using the beta version of my DH's app, we'll be happy to get it to you for free. Just PM me. DH would be happy for whatever feedback you have! Otherwise, I'm *sure* there are some similar apps already on the market...hope you find one you like!
    Interesting and cool! I think it would be tough to have the app tell you whend to go to the hospital. If I'd waited any longer based on the recommendations my Doc gave me I would have delivered DS at home...I'm really not kidding.

-I would want an app to track all my contractions.
    -I'd want it to track how long they lasted (30 sec, 1 min, etc).
    -I'd want it to track how far apart my contractions are (Start to start).
    -The ability to graph or otherwise display the trend of your contractions over the last hour or two hours...or the entire time would be critical to me.
    My contractions were so irregular that it was only after looking at the trend for the last 2 hours that I realized they were indeed getting closer together and lasting longer, which led me to call the dr. I arrived at the dr office (because they told me to go there instead of the hospital when I called) 9.5 cm dialated and fully effaced....because I couldn't believe with as irregular as my contractions were that I would be that far along.

I like the google maps/road/traffic conditions ideas...though in my area that is not a concern.

Maybe a reminder of some of the positions/breathing/relaxation techniques so that they are handy while in labor.

Maybe a run down of "typical" labor progress/stage. Just for something to compare to. (early labor = contractions x min long usually x far apart; active labor = blah, blah, blah; transition = blah, blah; pushig = blah, blah; delivering placenta = deliver placenta).

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I used one of the free apps while in labor with my son and wished it had a way to edit contractions/correct mistakes/automatically ended a timer after a certain contraction length. I had a few times where I started the timer and then got too distracted by everything around me to stop it in time and didn't realize it until I went to start the timer again for the next one.

I agree with the others that it would also be nice to be able to indicate water breaking, first phone call to the OB, etc.