Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for oily-face remedies!

I've always been a dry-skin girl, but lately I've developed an oily face (especially around my forehead and hairline) and I'm breaking out. Its gross, especially because it's hot & humid and I'm a sweat-er... I feel like a greasy mess all day! Looking for recs on any face products that will help control the oil and clear up my skin. Thanks!!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've heard that using milk of magnesia as a mask absorbs oil. Also, a BHA (salycic acid) gel will help unclog pores. I would check out cosmeticscop.com. She has a lot of suggestions.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a similar problem - summertime humidity hits & my face is an oil slick.

Using a salicylic acid product does help, but I got paranoid about using them while pregnant (summer 2009) and nursing (summer 2010 to present) so I've been looking around for a product that would work.

Right now, I'm using the Trader Joe's Spa facewash, with tea tree oil & castile soap and it works better than the L'Oreal scrubby one I'd been using, though the smell of TTO kind of makes me queasy, so I may be on the hunt for a new one after I get through the bottle I've got.

I'm sure you could find something similar if there's no Trader Joe's nearby.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm currently using Bare Minerals purifying facilial cleanser and combination skin moisturizer. I have an oily t zone and am prone to hormonal breakouts. I really like these products and do not feel greasy at all. I do still get a few breakouts and when I do I dab tea tree oil on them at night with a cotton ball or qtip.

http://www.bareescentuals.com/Cleans...efault,sc.html
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post

Right now, I'm using the Trader Joe's Spa facewash, with tea tree oil & castile soap and it works better than the L'Oreal scrubby one I'd been using, though the smell of TTO kind of makes me queasy, so I may be on the hunt for a new one after I get through the bottle I've got.

I'm sure you could find something similar if there's no Trader Joe's nearby.
    Thanks for this suggestion... I think I'll try this first and see what happens. I'm used to the smell of TTO because I use it so often for other things (currently DS2's diaper rash!).

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would try a glycolic acid product. I like this one:
    http://www.mdforte.com/renew002.aspx
    MD Formulations also makes one.
    Just make sure to wear SPF when using glycolic products.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I tried a sample of a L'Occitane product (and the saleslady gave me like 10 samples so I could test it for several days!) and I was pretty impressed...

here it is:
    http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/ultra-ma...m_vc=SearchRes

I would use a 2% BHA(salycilic acid) product first. Try and find something without alcohol. If you don't want to order online, Stridex pads in the red box are 2% BHA and no alcohol, however the menthol can bother some people.

I'd start off using it nightly and then if no irritation use morning and night. Just watch for dryness.

I've found the only products that help control oil during day are primers, but they break me out, so I can't use them.

I did try MOM but couldn't get the hang of it, was kinda messy.

I'd suggest trying a BHA on your breakout areas and buy blotting papers and buy some powder for during the day. Some blotting papers even come with powder on them.

Good luck!

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    I've found the only products that help control oil during day are primers, but they break me out, so I can't use them.
    I have searched far and wide for a primer that doesn't break me out. In the past, I only used them when I had important functions and such where it was more important for me to look nice (and not like an oil slick). Anyway, I just recently started using this primer and haven't had a bit of break out from it.
    http://www.dermstore.com/product_Pro...imer_21230.htm I've been really pleased with it.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

MAC Blot Powder is great for shine. The makeup artist I used for my wedding recommended it and I have been using it ever since.

http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/...0blot%20powder
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast