View Poll Results: Do you use a backless booster seat with your lower elementary age child?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, everyday--it's their main car seat

29 22.14%
  • Just for carpooling or field trips

37 28.24%
  • Only in a real pinch

25 19.08%
  • No, never

34 25.95%
  • other, please explain

6 4.58%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Do you use a backless booster for your DC?

Curious if you use a low-back booster (backless) for your elementary age child.
    Poll coming
    K

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our almost 2nd graders are still in 5pts, but have gone once or twice in DH's truck in lowback boosters. They're more comfortable in their big chairs (and they know it's the safer option for them, and wonder why other kids at school aren't in carseats).

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

DS is in a harness but we have a backless we keep in the car for other kids if carpooling. DS uses a backless at MIL's.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

8YO DD is in a backless booster full time. She is going into 3rd grade and claims she is the only one in her class who still has to use a car seat. She is 53 inches tall.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

My 7 1/2 yo DD has high-back boosters in both cars. We use the Parkway (HBB) for carpooling and field trips.
    Karen
    dd 12/03

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS1 uses a backless rarely. I have enough highback boosters that I can almost always make sure he is in one. He is on the smaller side at almost 8 and still fits in our harnessed seats when I need him to (we have a spot in the van that really needs a harnessed seat because of the belt). DS2 is still too small for me to consider a backless unless it was a real emergency (zombie apocalypse).
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

My son is 7 1/2 and has been in a backless booster for about a year. He's really tall ... he kept complaining about the back on his booster and one day I realized it was positioning the belt below his shoulder even at the highest setting. So he's backless. When my girls move out of their marathons later this year they will get Frontiers, I have no clue what will happen with them as far as moving to backless. I know they go taller than the Graco but we will have to see how things are when they are 6-7...

My older DS is 9 (54") and has a HBB that he rides in the majority of the time. Occassionally he will go places with my mom (once or twice a month) and she has a backless booster for him. My other DS (6 almost 7) rides in a Regent in my car.

Colleen

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ABO Mama View Post
    Our almost 2nd graders are still in 5pts, but have gone once or twice in DH's truck in lowback boosters. They're more comfortable in their big chairs (and they know it's the safer option for them, and wonder why other kids at school aren't in carseats).
    Unless they have special needs that prevent them from sitting properly in a booster, there is no evidence that a child over 5 who is able to sit properly in a booster is any safer in a harnessed seat. Most 2nd graders should be in a booster, but not necessarily harnessed.

My DS1 is 7 and is in a highback in both cars. I do have a lowback that he rode in a couple time last year, but that's it.
    Kris

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Beth24 View Post
    8YO DD is in a backless booster full time. She is going into 3rd grade and claims she is the only one in her class who still has to use a car seat. She is 53 inches tall.
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast