fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Nitrates in meat

I have been eating a lot of sausages lately (past 6 weeks) since I moved to Germany since I don't have a kitchen yet to cook much. I do heat them in a microwave. I didn't know that the sausages would have sodium nitrate in them since I don't speak German and DH couldn't figure it out either. So I have been munching down these hot dog look alikes almost everyday. I found out today that these wieners are full of nitrates. I was at an organic foods store and the lady there kindly informed me. Arrghh! Now I am stressing out. Not that I can do much about it now, but I am convinced I have done irrepairable harm to my child.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

Don't worry about it - honestly. Think of all the pregnant women in totally stressful situations - famine, war - and how little or limited foods they have to eat. Do what you can, but don't sweat it. I have days where I just can't eat or other days where I eat really badly and I am just trying to give myself leeway, eat the best I can, and know that the baby is ok.
    Besides, if it makes you feel better, Germany, I've been told, has one of the strictest meat regulations around - our chicken in the US if soaked in hormones compared to theirs (non-organic for both, I mean).

cairo06 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Don't stress. Just think about the millions of German pregnant women and children eating the stuff everyday. As you have probably noticed by now they eat a lot of sausage and deli meats here! Find a good "bio" butcher and buy from there. I have to say that as my children have gotten older, I've had to relax about these things a bit. Its so part of the culture and I can't always make it to the butcher shop I like. I also believe that bratwurst in general doesn't have the nitrates, but you'll have to read the label or ask. I let the kids get a bratwurst when we are out and then try not to think about it too much.
    Cristina

DD 2004
    DS 2007

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Are hot dogs on the no-no list? I thought it was just important that they be heated,etc.