BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Staying in a Condo--tips? food ideas? (first time)

This is our first time renting a condo for vacation. Any tips on what to bring to make things more comfortable/ better--little things to remember? We will be at the beach for a week.

We've stayed in condo hotel situations where they provide hotel type amenities (shampoo, soap, coffee etc) but this is our first time with nothing.

We plan to do a combo of eating in and dining out. I want to prep some things to take (we are driving) but I feel at a loss for what. This is supposed to be a vacation for me too But I know we will all be happier if we have options.

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I either bring or buy ziploc bags and trash bags. Those are always the most important for me. Sometimes I bring an extra pan or two, but if I forget, I pick up the disposable aluminum ones at the grocery store. If you're into baking, definitely bring your muffin pan or cake pans. I like muffins on vacation - easy and portable. I've mixed the dry ingredients ahead of time in a ziploc and then finished it once I get there, or I've also just baked them at home and brought them in a ziploc.

I always bring a few of our most used seasonings (Montreal Steak Seasoning, Taco seasoning, garlic & herb, garlic powder, etc) and any condiments we may need. If you're grilling burgers, consider ketchup/mustard/mayo. Those things add up at the grocery store and then get tossed half full!

Plan out some easy dinners in your head. We typically do baked/grilled chicken with steamed veggies and wild rice, pasta with jarred sauce and ground turkey or beef or meatballs, make your own sandwich night, tacos (or mexican night), etc.

I tend to stay away from salads because we're bad at eating leftovers on vacation and it always ends up being too much, but that's another thing that may work. Hope that helps!
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

A favorite kitchen knife or two --- the provided knives have always been crappy at condos we've rented.

And nightlights for bathrooms and bedrooms, if you are used to them.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We bring a roll of duct tape to cover outlets and fasten cabinets or any other child proofing that needs to happen. Also move all the breakables out of the bottom kitchen cabinets when we arrive.

For cooking, McCormick has these spice combination cards - it includes a card w/one dish's worth of spices and a recipe. Makes it really easy to make a meal w/ minimal shopping effort and not having to buy/bring a lot of seasonings.

We typically bring breakfast food, snacks, and maybe food for 1-2 dinners. I target to eat out 1 meal/day and the rest in. That keeps us flexible.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Blue Painter's Tape and contractor garbage bags...if the condo has LAME blinds, you can cover the windows so the kids don't wake up at the crack of dawn!

I also bring all sizes of ziplocks, snack, sandwich, quart, gallon and 2.5 gallon.

I bring a few disposable plastic storage containers to store leftovers.

We also bring our own soap (bar for the shower and pumps for handwashing).

Dish towels (3-4), so we don't have to wash the ones there before leaving. We actually bring all our own linens (bed, towels, beach towels). Laundry detergent if you have a machine.

I second nightlight and comforts of home (lovey, stuffies, own pillow, blanket) for the kids. Toys, games etc.

I also bring quite a bit of food that I don't want to buy again at the store (spices, salt/pepper shaker/grinder, ketchup, condiments that I don't want a second one of).

Craft supplies - plain white paper, contruction, markers, crayons, scissors for DD to do projects.

DVDs if you have a player there (or bring your own)

Extension cord or power strip in case there aren't a lot of outlets.

I used to bring a door handle cover (safety) to keep DD from opening the front door and leaving.

We often feed DD dinner at home and then DH and I get take out if she is too tired or on the verge of not making it through a restaurant sitting.

Cooler and ice packs so you can bring food to the beach.

Water bottles (we bring Klean Kanteens) and then buy jugs of water to refill and bring to the beach. Iced tea or lemonade mix, plastic pitcher if you think they won't have it. This year we brought our own alcohol since it is cheaper than buying it at the local liquer store.

I like to get mini cereal boxes and small chip/cookie packs from Costco since at the beach stuff seems to get stale quickly. THat way there is variety and stuff doesn't go stale (and it is fun).

Sprinkles, chocolate sauce to make sundaes at home. Stuff to make s'mores.

Coffee beans, sugar, filters if you know what kind of coffee maker and if you think they won't provide these.

Paper plates and cups if you don't want to do dishes. I bring a new sponge.

I still bring a step stool for DD so it is easier for her to use the sink/toilet.

We drive so we bring a TON of stuff. Have fun!
    Last edited by alien_host; 07-08-2011 at 04:13 PM.

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BayGirl2 View Post
    We bring a roll of duct tape to cover outlets and fasten cabinets or any other child proofing that needs to happen. Also move all the breakables out of the bottom kitchen cabinets when we arrive.
    Brilliant on the duct tape....wish I knew of this trick when DD was smaller!

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for the super ideas guys. Many things on there I wouldn't have thought of...
    Now if the weather will hold out for us. FL is having a draught, but our one vacation week looks like rain!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Brita pitcher. FL water is yucky!
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs