Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default After an hour of looking...time to ask you guys (washer/dryer)

I just spent the last hour reading reviews and my eyeballs are about to pop out of my head! So, any help would be greatly appreciated!

We are moving into a new house later this month. We will need to purchase a washer/dryer asap.

We haven't bought a washer/dryer in over 10 years and I have no clue what to get. Seems the good old energy and water sucking top loaders aren't the thing to buy anymore!

What do you have and do you like it? The laundry room is on the second floor and I think it is fairly large (I haven't actually seen this house...DH picked it out.)
    Last edited by crayonblue; 07-06-2011 at 10:56 PM.

We have LG Tromms (front loader) and really like them. We bought them 2.5 years ago and have had no issues despite heavy use. Ours are in the basement though - I know front loaders can be tricky on second floors because of vibration issues, so you'll definitely want to check reviews about that specifically if you're looking at front loaders. One of my favorite things about the Tromms is how cheap they are to run. The same package of detergent that lasted us 3-4 months with an old top loader has lasted the 2.5 years we've had the front loader! Our electric & water usage went down as well, despite doing more laundry as the kids clothes get bigger and dirtier.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

We went with Electrolux because they had a second floor guarantee, a refund if they vibrate or are too noisy, etc. - and because they are pretty. We did an LG set (much cheaper) for the basement laundry (back-up) but they haven't arrived yet. I read tons of posts on "thathomesite.com" and posted here too and seemed like many loved their LGs. Samsung got good reviews unless you get a unit with a problem and then they have terrible C/S from what I read, so we avoided them. We also wanted to buy American or at least European ie a country with health insurance and a living wage. Hard to do actually. The info is overwhelming! Let us know what you get.

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've had my LG Tromms for 7 years now...still ticking. Both are front loaders...gas dryer. I like them and they work well. We have them in the basement as well.

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crayonblue View Post
    . Seems the good old energy and water sucking top loaders aren't the thing to buy anymore!

What do you have and do you like it? The laundry room is on the second floor and I think it is fairly large (I haven't actually seen this house...DH picked it out.)
    We have the maytag bravos..top loader but no agitator. Love it and we can fit a ton!

We have electrolux front loaders and love them. We bought them in January. From the research I did, the best rated ones were LG and electrolux. What we liked about the electrolux was that you could switch how the doors open (which we needed in our small laundry room...we stacked ours.)
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We recently bought the LG Wave (HE top loader without agitator) and I love it so far. But of course, I can't speak to its longevity. It is essentially the same as the GE Harmony (LG makes the Harmony for GE).

We also considered the Bravo, but we were able to get a better deal on the Wave. The Bravo is the same unit as the Whirlpool Cabrio and Kenmore Oasis. (Whirlpool makes all 3 machines.)

I did not want a frontloader because of space issues in our laundry area.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

oneontheway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We've had Samsung front loaders for about 3 or 4 years and LOVE them!!! There are 5 of us in the house and the washer and dryer are huge! I can fit my king sized down comforter in both.
    DS 2005
    DD 2007
    DS 2010
    and a Junebug in 2013

Neelloc is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We have Samsung front loaders and got them this past September. I really like them because I can fit a lot more in them and they do a really nice job with the laundry! The washer uses so much less water too, and I love love love the sanitizing option!
    I've got 3!!!!
    2 primary school DD's and a toddler DS!

I love, love, love my LG front loader. We've had it for a year. No mildew smell (and I never clean it..just leave the door ajar, though DH and FIL frequently close it anyway. No vibration. It is super quiet. Clothes are very clean. Water bill went down. I love it. The only improvement I might make is to have it on a pedestal which I might put DH and FIL up to making one day.
    DD '06
    DD '14

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast