Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default File Organization--What papers do you keep?

And what do you toss? For years now I've kept my cell phone bills. I can't think of why I do this--it is just habit! I think I'll toss.

I keep tax documentation for 7 years, right?? I keep all the stuff related to our student loans and our (ahem) investments (right!). I keep a maintenance file for each car. I keep stuff related to the kids that I'd like to save. I keep a medical file for each member of the family.

What do YOU keep and what do you toss? Nesting here and in a big mood to toss and shred!

TIA!

I've had my bank account since I was born and have almost every statement since the 80s. It's actually not a very big file because the statements were only really one page until I started working. I know I need to shred it but I just can't!

Bills for the house and car, credit card statements, 401k statements, medical bills that I attached to the EOB's, important records like SS card and birth certificates. I also save the manuals for toys, appliances etc. DH thinks I'm crazy but we have has to reference them numerous times!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ah yes! Manuals and product information. I find those to be very useful! Thanks for the reminder!

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

This is what we do.

We keep a lot of our bills for tax purposes. I have a 30 day expanding file in the front of the filing cabinet drawer that I put in the phone bills, credit card bills, gas, etc. Anything that is a permanent file and will be kept longer than 7 yrs - mortgage, investments, life insurance etc is in a normal hanging file in the drawer.

At the end of the year, I take out the accordion file, and DH does the taxes with that and anything I pulled from the permanent files. Permanent file papers go back in filing cabinet to be kept until no longer have investments/mortgage (yeah righ!). The expanding file goes into a storage box to be kept for 7 yrs...then shredded.

Manuals/product information is in another expanding file. I actually have 2 of them full and the fit in bottom drawer of filing cabinet - I tend to keep way too much, so I do need to purge these again.

HTH

We keep permanently: Social Security cards, birth certificates, titles to cars, insurance paperwork, wills, etc.

We keep for 7 years: Tax documents and all supporting papers

We keep just for the year: FSA papers

We keep for the month, until paid: all bills

As soon as a bill is paid, it goes in the shredding box. Everything is online anyway.

Oh and I do have a file with manuals.

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I toss manuals I don't think I need figuring that if I ever do need them, I can find them on the company's website.

I keep bills for probably a little too long, but I file them by month paid. I use a mini manilla (sp?) envelope for each month and have them going back 2-3 years mostly because I have failed to keep it cleaned out. This system really works for me because I can find what I want pretty easily.

I have a box for insurance info and another for bank statements. I get our statements on line and then our quarterly statements come on paper by post. Taxes is in a separate file. FWIW, all these "files" are really baskets shoved in my Expidit.
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crayonblue View Post
    We keep permanently: Social Security cards, birth certificates, titles to cars, insurance paperwork, wills, etc.

We keep for 7 years: Tax documents and all supporting papers

We keep just for the year: FSA papers

We keep for the month, until paid: all bills

As soon as a bill is paid, it goes in the shredding box. Everything is online anyway.

Oh and I do have a file with manuals.
    I wish I could make myself shred my bills after one month... For some reason I always think I might need a copy so I keep them nearly a year. Though I've never needed a copy so I need to just purge them.
    DD Spring 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    I wish I could make myself shred my bills after one month... For some reason I always think I might need a copy so I keep them nearly a year. Though I've never needed a copy so I need to just purge them.
    For years and years I kept neat files of all of our bills. While on bed rest, I got this sudden nesting urge to purge paperwork so I shredded everything and realized we had not once looked at those bills. So, I had spent all this time creating files, sorting, filing for absolutely nothing. That's when we decided to just shred! I LOVE that now we have one file drawer of the necessities (insurance, etc.) and one file drawer of tax stuff and that's it!

what things are you required to keep for 7 yrs?
    mommy to the loves of my life ds (Oct. 2008) and dd (Aug. 2011)

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crayonblue View Post
    For years and years I kept neat files of all of our bills. While on bed rest, I got this sudden nesting urge to purge paperwork so I shredded everything and realized we had not once looked at those bills. So, I had spent all this time creating files, sorting, filing for absolutely nothing. That's when we decided to just shred! I LOVE that now we have one file drawer of the necessities (insurance, etc.) and one file drawer of tax stuff and that's it!
    I think I'm going to follow your lead and get rid of ours! It would also help with the daily clutter on my counter.
    DD Spring 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast