Thread: Hip Pain HELP

soon2b4 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Hip Pain HELP

So, I know it is the Relaxin in my system... BUT, sometimes I can hardly walk because my left hip hurts so much. It feels like it wants to pop out of joint, and now I know I am walking oddly because my knee will hurt, or my groin area will.
    I talked to the doctor about it yesterday at my appt. She recommended a hip band to help support them. Anyone have any recommendations?
    I looked at BRU yesterday, but the one I bought, when I got it home and opened it says "not for use during pregnancy" right at the beginning of the instructions.
    This had been happening after I would walk or stand for a while, but this morning, I woke up with this pain! I don't remember this with DD1...
    TIA!
    Happily married to DH 01/96
    Mom to:
    DD1 01/04
    DD2 09/11

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had the same problem and it recurrs every now and then. I didn't have this in my first pregnancy either. I got two massages focusing entirely on that area, and it helped a lot. It was a deep tissue massage only for that area since I didn't want to risk anything. They worked on it for 45 min. and it hasn't come back since. My doc says that it's a combo of relaxin and carrying my toddler.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

Massages, chiropractor or one of those maternity support belts. I borrowed one from a friend that just goes under your belly but it provides enough support that I don't have the back, leg or hip pain. I think she got it from Motherhood Maternity.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Consider seeing a physical therapist with experience in pregnancy related issues. It sounds like you may be dealing with sacroiliac joint pain.

One resource for finding a PT specializing in women's health:
    http://www.womenshealthapta.org/plp/index.cfm

See their PT finder and their link about prenatal/postpartum health.

There are PTs that can handle women's health/pregnancy issues who are not on this list. This is just one resource. You can call outpatient physical therapy practices and ask if they have any therapists with experience in women's health/prenatal/pregnancy issues.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

I also find a soak in a bath helps as well as muscle rub like Icy Hot or Radian B or Tiger Balm.

My chiropractor suspected sacroiliac joint dysfunction because of the relaxin as well. He was able to order a couple different types of belts for me to try on in the office and then returned the ones I didn't want. He charged about the same as the ones available via Amazon, etc. It was nice to be able to try some on b/c I wasn't sure what style or size would work the best and the ones available at Motherhood Maternity were all too small.
    -----------------------
    Karen