gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Anyone have any luck killing bugs with boric acid?

We have earwigs getting into our house. Apparently they are nocturnal and seek damp places because I've been finding them in our kitchen and laundry rooms. According to a few websites, they don't usually live indoors but can set up their homestead indoors if they nobody stops them.

So, I"m determined to stop them. They don't move quickly and they don't carry illnesses (and they don't burrow through your ears into your brain according to a common myth). But I don't want them in my house. I read that using boric acid sprinkled around their traveling spots can eventually kill them. Friends of mine have told me before they killed bugs that way but I"m no longer in touch with them and I've never done this before. I was told it was a very environmentally healthy way to get rid of pests. However, I'm not sure I want boric acid sprinkled where the twins can get to it.

Does anyone have any tips for killing bugs with boric acid? Would a boric acid paste work better? Anyone have a recipe for a paste solution (because I couldn't find one online).

TIA!
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 07-07-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We get rid of ants with a boric acid bait. It works because they ingest it and can't process it so they basically explode. In their anthill, we don't have any grisly ant carcasses laying around. It gets rid of the entire colony since they bring it back to the queen.
    Here's the recipe:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-ant-killer-299504
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was recently looking for a safer, more natural way to kill bugs and came across this.
    http://eartheasy.com/non-toxic-pest-...us-earth-4-lbs

I read that Boric acid is toxic and to keep away from children and pets so I was looking for something else and came across this. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    We get rid of ants with a boric acid bait. It works because they ingest it and can't process it so they basically explode. In their anthill, we don't have any grisly ant carcasses laying around. It gets rid of the entire colony since they bring it back to the queen.
    Here's the recipe:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-ant-killer-299504
    This is what we have done as well.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

My mother swears by boric acid - there is a sidewalk chalk- type product made out of boric acid called Laxmanrekha (sp??) available in India which my moms uses to "draw" on the floor and in bathrooms once a week. Keeps the house bugfree. I don't think it is available in the US. I haven't tried it either because I am not sure about the legalities of bringing it back to the US.