View Poll Results: Any sort of similarity between your name & your DC's?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 32.11%
  • No

67 61.47%
  • Other (please explain)

7 6.42%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD and I have the same middle name (which is also my moms middle name).

DS and DH also have the same middle name but DH actually goes by that name ( instead of his given first name that he dislikes) and DS goes by his given first name.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I want someone to fess up to combining both parents' names to form a new name. It seemed to be common practice in the South years ago.

DD and DS2 - no similarity, but one has my grandmother's middle name as her middle name, and another has FIL's name as his middle name. DS1's middle name is DH's given name.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS's name is my last name.

ETA: DS's other two names are from my GGGgrandfather, and a family name from DH's side (FIL's middle name) that also happens to be a family name (surname) in my family. His names are all very significant.
    Last edited by larig; 07-08-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Well, they're both Irish/Scottish names But other than that, no. My name is very female and DS' name is very male. And there aren't really opposite-sex versions of either. All of DS' names are family names though. His first is from DH's side, and his 2 middles are from mine.

My name is a diminutive of my mom's name.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

All the kids have middle names that are the first name of a grandparent.

DS1's middle is my FIL's first.
    DD's middle is my mom's first.
    DS2's middle is my dad's first.

I feel a bit bad that we don't have a fourth to give my MIL's first name to, but not enough to actually have a 4th.
    Kris

DS, DD, and I have the same middle name. (It's also the middle name of my sister, dad, and grandfather.)
    Susan

Mom to E (1/03) and R (6/05)

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS1's middle is FIL name
    DS2's middle is my father name
    DS3's middle is DH middle
    DD...well she took a REALLY long time to name. I wanted her middle name to honor my grandmothers but DH didn't like it--I don't blame him, we didn't have much to work with for Girl names. I caved for more say in the first name. I was feeling bad she didn't have a family connection to her name when my FRIEND brought up DD's name is connected to me! Which is quite coincidental, but it starts with the same letter as me and includes my middle name, I didn't realize until she was about 6 months old! Go figure.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    I'm Jewish, and Jews don't name children after anyone who is still living, so no. DS is named after DH's (deceased) grandfather.
    Jews of Middle Eastern and Spanish origin do name their children after the living. My son's middle name was his great grandfather's (who was still alive but unfortunately has passed away).

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS's middle name is the same as DH's and FIL's. It's FIL's mother's maiden name and she died when he was 2yo..

DS's first name just happens to be MIL's maiden name. We didn't name him for that, we loved the name, and it was my suggestion to put it on the list when I saw it in a baby names book. Our girl names included my maiden name. DS was a boy, so he got DH's family names.

It's never bothered me that my family name isn't in DS's name, but it has bothered other people. We chose the names before we found out if we were having a boy or a girl...and we got a boy. I can't imagine him being called anything else. And yes, I did get brownie points from DH's grandmother as it was her married name..
    Last edited by niccig; 07-08-2011 at 02:45 AM.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Our similarity is a format issue. My husband and I each have names that are longer and more formal with a shorter, common, nickname. Obvious what that is for me, for my husband he is a Joshua/Josh. We both like this- having a formal name for work and stuff and a more casual name for intimate friends and family. So we chose names like this for our kids.

Also, each son has a middle name that is the first name of one of their uncles. T for my younger brother and F for my BIL.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast