Default what's 'excessive'?

This is kind of a spin off of the thread about losing hair -

What is too much? Part of the problem is, I think becoming more conscious of it, seeing it all coming out, whereas before perhaps i lost just as much, but just didn't pay attention to it. Or, maybe I am really losing lots more, to the extent that I notice it.

Do a few strands come out when you run your fingers through your hair? Does a lot come out when you comb it in the morning or after a shower? Does a lot come out in the shower? Is that normal?

starting to panic a little, wondering if I should start investing in rogaine!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Not when I run my hands through my hair or in the shower. I didn't see the other thread so won't comment dfurther.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

I think it's normal to lose about 100 hairs a day. For me, that means some while conditioning my hair, some while rinsing, some while brushing, and a few throughout the day.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by newbiemom View Post
    Do a few strands come out when you run your fingers through your hair? Does a lot come out when you comb it in the morning or after a shower? Does a lot come out in the shower? Is that normal?
    Yes to all of these. My hair is falling out like crazy. It comes out all day long - when I run my fingers through, when I wash it, when I comb it... and it's a lot. I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's, so that could be it. Plus I just started synthroid so I know that causes more hairloss. I'm getting a haircut today because it's just starting to look bad. I have thick curly hair which nowadays is thin and broken. It's depressing. Sorry I have nothing encouraging to say, only that I can sympathize. Have your thyroid and iron levels checked because that could be the cause.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have lost so much hair postpartum this time around. I think it's gotten progressively worse with each baby and this is horrible. I feel like I've lost a good 1/3rd of my hair and I had thin/fine hair to begin with. The excessive loss phase seems to be over with now, but I have baby hairs all over my head. I have tiny bangs (normally I have no bangs) all around my hairline from ear to ear. I have spikes that stick straight up if you look closely at the top of my head, near my part. My hair (not long, between chin and shoulder in a stacked bob type style) is so wispy at the ends because there's not much of it. I feel so super ugly. So, I feel for you.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

I lose a lot, my DH says I am shedding worse than a Lab, which is not true, of course, but you get the point. It comes out all the time, but according to my hair stylist I have plenty left so nothing to worry about. I did lose a ton post-partum, you'd think I was holding a small kitten in my hand after a shower but it was really my hair, it was quite long at the time, i.e. mid-shoulder blades, and thick. Post-partum hair loss is normal since you lose less hair during pregnancy so it's just reverting back to normal. HTH!
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003