Default Fall on Abdomen at 28wks

I was jumping off the couch to help DS today when I tripped over a toy and fell onto the coffee table. The edge hit directly on my abdomen, right on the side where DS#2 has been hanging out all day. I then fell onto the floor on my side with my arm twisted around behind me, and my elbow over extended. It is still hurting. I could still feel the baby pressed up against my abdomen wall before and after the fall so I'm pretty sure that it hit him - and hard. I think it was probably his back.

We went to L&D at the hospital, but they only monitored his heartbeat which was fine. I don't have any pain (other than the elbow) or visible bleeding, and he is moving around well. I just feel horrible about it though. I already have an appointment and ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday so I'm hoping that will put my mind at ease a little more, but right now I'm still really worried about him. My placenta is also in the front, and the nurse said you can have bleeding without pain so I have that added worry. I've been so careful to always hold onto handrails on stairs etc, and I feel like an idiot for falling so hard right in my own living room like that.

Has anyone else fallen on their abdomen, and did anything happen because of it?
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post

Has anyone else fallen on their abdomen, and did anything happen because of it?
    Yes, but you're not going to like the answer.

I fell at 33 6/7 weeks - a very, very mild fall. Tripped while walking into work, fell on my outstretched hand, but did end up on the right side of my belly (I think the right hand and leg took the brunt of the force, but still, there was some significant acceleration-deceleration action to the belly). Just as a precaution, I texted my OB who immediately had me come in for monitoring... long story short, I ruled in for a placental abruption and was in the hospital on bedrest for about a week. Good news is that everything sort of stabilized with time, I was able to get off of bedrest and delivered DD at 38 6/7 weeks - very healthy, no issues.

You've already gone in for monitoring, and I'm assuming they've given you all the precautions. I would just be very, very attentive to any changes in the coming days and have a low threshold for calling your doctor or going into L&D for assessment.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I fell down the stairs a few months before I had my youngest. I spent 3 hours in the ER checking out my ankle and 4 hours being monitored in L & D. The baby was fine, and the only major issue was that i had trouble walking for a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by TxCat View Post
    ... long story short, I ruled in for a placental abruption and was in the hospital on bedrest for about a week.
    How did they diagnose that? Did you have pain?

I'm not completely comfortable with the fact that I could have internal bleeding and not know it. I do feel like most of the force actually hit right on the baby, and I really wish that they would have done an ultrasound. Sure, he's moving, but I don't know that he's moving BOTH legs and BOTH arms etc. I just imagine him having a big bruise or something because when he's pressed up against my abdomen like that I can push with my hand, and he doesn't seem to move away at all. It just makes me feel sick to think about.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

How did they diagnose that? Did you have pain?
    I wasn't a "classical" case from my outward signs - I didn't have any pain or bleeding. But, I did start contracting within about an hour after my fall, and DD's fetal heart tracing was hyperdynamic, which is common following trauma, especially trauma involving the placenta . My bloodwork was completely "classic" for abruption however, so that combined with the contractions and fetal heart tracing bought me the diagnosis.

I'm not completely comfortable with the fact that I could have internal bleeding and not know it. I do feel like most of the force actually hit right on the baby, and I really wish that they would have done an ultrasound. Sure, he's moving, but I don't know that he's moving BOTH legs and BOTH arms etc. I just imagine him having a big bruise or something because when he's pressed up against my abdomen like that I can push with my hand, and he doesn't seem to move away at all. It just makes me feel sick to think about.
    I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or not, but the amniotic fluid often acts as sort of a shock absorber in these situations. So, more than likely, the baby didn't get any sort of bruise or injury to a specific body part in the classic sense that you or I might think of it. Usually the biggest area for concern in a situation like this is trauma to the placenta, specifically abruption. Did they do any lab work at the hospital? If you are really concerned, it's probably worth it to call your MD in the morning and discuss it with him/her, ie, peace of mind before the weekend, etc. At least hear why he/she doesn't think it's needed, if that is the case.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013

I was such a klutz during my first pregnancy! I fell 3 times! The first two I didn't hit my stomach but was sent for BP monitoring. I was fine. The last time (at 35 weeks) I fell flat out on my stomach on the sidewalk!! I went to L&D (on OB's request) and was monitored for 4 hours. At 3.5 hours - I started to have contractions which I couldn't feel! That bought me 24 hours in L&D. I stayed overnight - contractions eventually stopped and I was discharged. I went on to deliver DS1 2 days after my due date! Aside from the scar on my elbow - there were no ill effects to the pregnancy!

P&PT to you for an uneventful rest of you pregnancy!
    Colleen
    Mom to 2 DS (5/'04 and 1/'09)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I fell all the time while PG.

Did they do an u/s? I think they can rule out an abruption with the u/s. Also, if you passed the NST, there is no abruption (there would be signs with the baby if there was something wrong with the placenta).

You probably just rocked his world, LOL.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I fell all the time while PG.

Did they do an u/s? I think they can rule out an abruption with the u/s. Also, if you passed the NST, there is no abruption (there would be signs with the baby if there was something wrong with the placenta).

You probably just rocked his world, LOL.
    Unfortunately, an U/S usually can't rule in or rule out an abruption - occasionally the bleed or clot can be visible, but that tends to be the exception, not the rule. Typically abruption is a clinical diagnosis based on physical signs/symptoms/exam, although OB's will use laboratory data as supportive information if physical signs/symptoms are equivocal. I agree that if the PP was sent home from the hospital, everything probably looked good. Her mental reassurance is a different story.

I also had friends who fell past 30+ weeks and didn't even go in for monitoring (too busy with work, etc.) - not that I would recommend that! They both had healthy, full-term deliveries. Usually the extra monitoring and work-up is more of a precautionary measure than anything else.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013

They didn't do an ultrasound or lab work on me. They only monitored his heartbeat for about half an hour and sent me home. Since I already have an apt with ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday, I'm just going to wait it out until then and then ask the tech to really check everything out. I do wish that I had a babysitter today though as DS is having a rough day and being very difficult (climbing on me, throwing tantrums that require me to carry him while he thrashes around etc).
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11