Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have never used an "official" 3 day potty training method, but my version is to pick a long weekend and stay home. No store trips, no visits to friends, no outings, nothing. Announce in advance that you are going to do this. Have rewards and prizes picked out for milestones. Then put the kid in underwear or let them be naked. I think underwear is better personally, but YMMV. Have a little potty readily available in an open area and I personally think that it helps to push liquids (juice, etc.) because it makes their bladders full more quickly.

My older DD did not really need incentives or prizes, but it was very helpful with younger DD. Every kid's currency is different. She could care less about M&Ms, stickers, etc., but she was VERY eager to earn her Tinkerbell nightgown (which she got for going a whole day with no accidents) and Disney princess mini dolls.

To be successful, 1) the kid has to be ready, 2) YOU have to be ready and 3) you have to be willing to be absolutely and totally focused on them the whole 3-4 days. I would have all the bribes/prizes lined up ahead of time.

I did not even attempt it for nighttime. Both my kids did not night train until a full year after they daytime trained.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Bought it, used it to the letter, unsuccessful. DS is on the spectrum, though, so that might matter.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We used it for daytime but didn't attempt nighttime yet (DD is only newly 2, and I just don't care if she uses a pullup at night still - I think that is reasonable)

It worked great for daytime though! DH and I both participated and DD figured it out in the middle of day 2. The plan is really easy, and I don't know if you really NEED to buy the book, as the advice people give who didn't use the book is so similar, but it helped me to get DH on board. He likes to read and to have clear directions for things, so it worked for us.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We did it in 2 days following the same basic ideas (never bought the book). Mine were really really ready so I don't think it was so much the method...just that they were really ready. It was totally easy and painless for me.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I didn't use the program but DS1 potty trained at 24 months in one day using the "naked from the waist down" technique. Unfortunately he'll be 8 in August and still wets the bed at night. He's just a SUPER deep sleeper and will not wake up for anything. He even pees through the underjams I finally bought him since I was tired of washing sheets every day. He even pees through the bedwetting alarm that has both an audible alarm and vibration!

DS2 is 25 months and is also potty training right now using the same naked method. It took him about a week. We're down to 2 diapers a day-- one for overnight and one for if we leave the house. I'll probably start putting him in underwear this week. He's already dry after naps and is a super light sleeper so I don't think we'll have the same problem with staying dry at night that DS1 has.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmh2402 View Post
    all questions above. please share whatever your thoughts/experiences were with this method of PTing

thanks
    Are you asking about this method for your own child? Quite honestly, with the developmental concerns you have with your son, I would not consider using such an intense method. Why the rush?

We knew that potty training was going to take a long time for DS, given his communication and motor planning difficulties. And we were OK with that. To us, potty training was a process, not an event.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Gena View Post
    Are you asking about this method for your own child? Quite honestly, with the developmental concerns you have with your son, I would not consider using such an intense method.
    I absolutely agree. It could easily end up in a battle of the wills and major meltdowns. Programs like this were not meant for children with developmental concerns, or those on the spectrum. Quite frankly, they almost always need to be older to successfully PT. And when I say older, I mean as late as age 4 before they can really "get" the sensation or have any control over their bladder.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    I absolutely agree. It could easily end up in a battle of the wills and major meltdowns. Programs like this were not meant for children with developmental concerns, or those on the spectrum. Quite frankly, they almost always need to be older to successfully PT. And when I say older, I mean as late as age 4 before they can really "get" the sensation or have any control over their bladder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gena View Post
    Are you asking about this method for your own child? Quite honestly, with the developmental concerns you have with your son, I would not consider using such an intense method. Why the rush?

We knew that potty training was going to take a long time for DS, given his communication and motor planning difficulties. And we were OK with that. To us, potty training was a process, not an event.

yes, i am asking for myself/us. and i have considered exactly what you guys have voiced.

the concern is that we're staring nursery school in the fall and they require them to be at the very least, "toilet aware."

they will not change diapers.

we picked this school b/c it's the most laid-back environment of all the schools and it's the closest/most convenient. he's going to be in school during days that i'm working, so i have to count on my mom and the nanny to get him to and from school. so close is key.

i'm so worried. but i do think we're going to give this a try. and if it doesn't work. than we'll back off. but i've got to try. the premise of the "program" is to keep the whole thing overwhelmingly positive. so if it seems like it's too much stress for him, we'll just drop it.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmh2402 View Post
    yes, i am asking for myself/us. and i have considered exactly what you guys have voiced.

the concern is that we're staring nursery school in the fall and they require them to be at the very least, "toilet aware."

they will not change diapers.

we picked this school b/c it's the most laid-back environment of all the schools and it's the closest/most convenient. he's going to be in school during days that i'm working, so i have to count on my mom and the nanny to get him to and from school. so close is key.
    I understand how difficult it is to find suitable childcare for a child with developmental issues when you have to work.

You may want to read "Toilet Training for Individuals with Autism or Other Developmental Issues". I found this book very helpful for potty training my son.

http://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Trainin...0437885&sr=8-1
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I didn't use the official "3 day PT" method, but I did PT DS in 3 days. I organized everything so we could stay home for 3 days, I had him in undies only and I had him sit on the potty for a while every 20 minutes or so. The first 2 days were very frustrating, but finally on the 3rd day he "got it".

We had a couple of potty books (Elmo goes Potty and The potty book for boys) which were very motivating for DS, we'd read them while he sat on the potty.

On the 4th day we were going on car rides with nothing but training undies, he's never had an accident in the car. We only used pull-ups for very long road trips. He did have a few occasional accidents the first months, but I'd say no more than one a week.

I have to confess we used M&M's as rewards the first few weeks, and then I weaned him off. I waited until he seemed ready before trying it (i.e. he would let me know immediately after he wet or soiled his diaper that he needed to me changed, he was very interested in the potty, he would go to a certain corner in his room when he needed to poop). Also we only day-trained him, he was 2.5 yo and still soaking his diapers every night, so I decided to wait that out until he was ready.

So IME, you can PT in 3 days, and you don't really need to purchase a method.
    Last edited by edurnemk; 07-11-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast