Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Imitation American Girl dolls?

My DD has never been a fan of dolls - ever!
    But with #3 coming, I'm thinking about getting her a realistic looking older doll as opposed to a baby doll as her present from #3. Maybe she'll be more into older dolls?

Anyways, don't want to spend lots of $$$ in case she shows no interest again. What dolls do you recommend that are similar to American Girls, but cheaper and still nice quality? Would prefer PVC free and healthy, etc, but not totally stuck on this.

I've seen knock-offs at Target & Kmart, but not sure about the quality.
    Thanks.
    Mom to DD 7/06, DS1 8/08 & DS2 9/11!

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got my DD a Madame Alexander doll from Toys R Us (when on sale) and she loves it! She thinks it's a AG doll and she is 8 now! I'm sure she'll figure it out at some point, but it is really a lovely doll.

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD has a Madame Alexander doll we got at Costco a few years ago...I can't remember when Christmas toys come out but they may be out before the baby is due! I think they are usually $25.

DD has one of the knock-offs from Target. She likes it pretty well. I have not seen a real A.G doll in person to compare it to. I'm sure they are better quality.

They are made by Bataat, which has decent safety standards, including being pthalate and BPA free.

The only thing I would NOT buy are the clothes made for these dolls, at Target. They don't fit! You nearly have to rip them to get them on. And they are cheaply made. I would by some off Etsy, or Ebay (A.G. brand or similar).

Hope that helps!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

We have the one from Costco, a Madame Alexander for $25. DD (5) loves is and thinks it's an American girl doll. DS (almost 2) loves it too. He called it "may key ger doll" (American girl doll.). Glad I didn't shell out big $$$ since she gets dragged around by her hair pretty often. From my research, the Madame alexanders are the best quality of the knockoffs. But still their hair isn't as nice as the real thing....but for $75 cheaper I can live with it.

Eta: for clothing, there's a brand called Dollie and me that has decently pried matching clothes. I know kohls and sears carries that brand.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Are these basically the Costco dolls (but more expensive)?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...+18+inch+dolls
    Mom to DD 7/06, DS1 8/08 & DS2 9/11!

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We love the Gotz dolls at Tuesday Mornings. I think they are the same parent company as AG, but not positive. Great hair, same body, etc. Ours was $25. Love it.

Kind of like this but ours is a ballerina:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I5HSJO/...SIN=B004I5HSJO

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DD has a Gotz doll and we've been very happy with the quality. We have an 18 inch and then one of the more toddler-looking dolls.

The Gotz ones aren't cheap, but the quality is nice. I believe they made the AG girls at one point.

While not cheap, they are more affordable than the AG dolls and IME hold up nicely. They are phthalate-free, fwiw.

I bought DD's through a co-op a few years ago but Tuesday Morning has carried them at a discount in the past. I haven't been in a TM in a few years and am not sure if they still carry them.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Gotz used to make the AG dolls for the Pleasant Company, but not since Mattel bought AG several years ago.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I'm a big fan of the real AG dolls. But when I bought DD a horse from target for her doll, the 18" dolls at Target seemed to get really good reviews. My DD is not a doll person either but got a little into dolls when her sister was born and then a little more after reading the AG books.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast