Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default 7/11 South Beach & Low Carb check-in

It's a new week everyone! How was everyone's weekend? What was your weight loss over the past week? Any cheating? How do you feel-- more energy, clearer skin, less hungry? Any new favorite low carb snacks or meals?
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Weekend was good - like I mentioned in the other thread, I cheated a little bit, but overall stuck with it. I am on Day 6 and I think I've lost 3-5 pounds. I feel good, no cravings and when I've been hungry, something small like a few nuts, has kept me going. I didn't plan well for breakfast this morning, so I def. need to work on that. I have been having salads for lunch and I need to make some better salad dressing - I just put balsamic vinegar on it and while I do like it, I know I will get sick of it. I think I'll try some kind of ginger based dressing since I have some fresh ginger at home now.

I really feel like this is manageable - way more so than the last time I tried SB - I wonder why? Maybe the time of year? I do miss fruit so I will be happy to add that back in when Phase 2 starts.

eta: just for full disclosure, my cheat was 2 rum and cokes on Sunday but they were made with Coke Zero
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I will post again tomorrow with my weight check, since I start Phase 2. I cheated a bit on Saturday when Dh and I went out for our anniversary. I had 3 bites of bread and butter, a bite of my wild rice pilaf, and a mini dessert, Chocolate walnut something tart. It looked like a fraction of whatever the whole was. A sip of Dh's wine. The owner sent over two slices of steamed peach with a tiny dollop of sour cream. So while it wasn't whole hog cheating like I was considering, it added up in the end.

I'm glad Phase 1 is almost over (still have dinner tonight!), but the weight loss was pretty dramatic! Does anyone know whether the weight lost at the beginning is mostly water, or is it really fat from your middle? I didn't think you could lose fat from only one section of your body.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Is there such a thing as too much protein, enough to not make you lose the pounds? Well, my scale says nothing's happening
    Anyways, weekend was fine - continued with scrambled eggs for breakfast and lentil crepes for staple and bean curries.
    I was watching Joann weir's show and saw an interesting piece about oven cooking a cauliflower. She toasted coriander seeds in olive oil and poured th oil over the florets arranged in a baking dish. I just sprinkled my regular spices with oil and it turned out to be a delicious side and was really quick and easy!
    Today I ate "pizza" - I ate the cheese and veggies off of the crust and finished off with a salad. Anyone think that was a bad idea?!
    Tomorrow onward for the next week I'll give up my sweet chai and substitute with hot tea with sugar sub. Let's see, maybe the pounds will start to move then...
    Btw, I feel I am doing this right (ESP if the pounds came off eventually) since I am not hungry ever! In fact, I was telling DH that we should start doing a protein only day one day a week once I start phase2 and make that a routine (not for DS of course)
    Last edited by Sweetum; 07-12-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Phase 2, Day 1.
    Pounds lost: 7-8.

Breakfast: 1 sunny side up egg, 1 wholegrain pancake with pb, and a small handfull of blueberries. And a glass of tomato juice.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    Phase 2, Day 1.
    Pounds lost: 7-8.

Breakfast: 1 sunny side up egg, 1 wholegrain pancake with pb, and a small handfull of blueberries. And a glass of tomato juice.

That's funny ~ I'm Phase 2, day 1 today too and that was my exact breakfast minus the tomato juice. I made the boys wholegrain pancakes with fresh blueberries last night and saved one for me today. I had another handful of fresh blueberries on the side and they were SO sweet and yummy!!

I lost about 8.5 pounds on phase 1 and went down a size. It's like having a whole new wardrobe as I could pull out all these clothes that I haven't worn in a year or two
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

Quote Originally Posted by billysmommy View Post
    That's funny ~ I'm Phase 2, day 1 today too and that was my exact breakfast minus the tomato juice. I made the boys wholegrain pancakes with fresh blueberries last night and saved one for me today. I had another handful of fresh blueberries on the side and they were SO sweet and yummy!!

I lost about 8.5 pounds on phase 1 and went down a size. It's like having a whole new wardrobe as I could pull out all these clothes that I haven't worn in a year or two
    Go you! I was a leetle disappointed I didn't lose the 8-13 lbs claimed by the book, but then I have to keep in mind my ultimate goal is rather modest.

I added the tomato juice because I've gotten used to veggie with my breakfast. One thing I have to say about this diet is that I'm eating WAY more veggies than I used to!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    One thing I have to say about this diet is that I'm eating WAY more veggies than I used to!
    Totally agree!

Wow you guys did awesome on Phase 1 - I hope I lose that much! Granted I am only trying to lose 10-15 lbs anyway, but to do it mostly the first 2 weeks would be fabulous!

I am so limited in what I can wear right now because of my few extra pounds...
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hi ladies! I'm going to join you even though I'm not doing South Beach. I eat a primal diet so meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, nuts, and seeds. I don't do grains ever, no dairy except butter for cooking, no legumes, and no sugar - although I occasionally eat some dark chocolate.

I've been eating this way for a while, got pregnant with DD and had major food aversions, and then got back to eating this way. My body just feels so much better, less bloated, and I have way more energy.

I'm about 8 lbs from pre-pregnancy weight but would like to lose about 5-10 lbs on top of that. So far, it's been pretty easy. I lost another 2 lbs this week.

Oh and I'm also nursing DD so I don't count calories or restrict fats at all.

For those wanting some low carb recipes and/or resources - marksdailyapple.com is my favorite site. His cookbooks are great too!
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

I also realized I have to up the protein and fat for breakfast because by 10am I was starving and getting head rushes again. That hasn't happened since day 4. Tomorrow I'll probably top the egg with cheese and spinach. I'd been eating 2 eggs every morning with the same toppings.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast