Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Put a long body pillow under the bottom (fitted sheet) and have him sleep with that "bumper" in place...... worked great for DD, when she transitioned to her big girl bed in March!

I actually have a body pillow. Do I not need to worry about suffocation now that he's such a big boy? I feel silly asking, but I've been so vigilant for so long, that it's hard to relax when it's time!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

DD1 decided at 27 mos. old she didn't want to sleep in the crib. She slept on an air mattress for 2 weeks and then moved to a twin bed. I bought a bed rail but it didn't fit on the bed frame right so I returned it and she did quite well without it so I ended up returning it and not looking for another rail.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A body pillow is pretty thick and would take over a large part of the bed wouldn't it? I love the GoBedBug foam rails and they are perfect for high mattresses since they go under the fitted sheet. DS1 has had a pair on his bed for the past 4 years and they are great. We have one on our bed too since DS2 was co-sleeping for part of the night up until a few weeks ago and he still comes in our bed in the morning. Our bed is really high off the ground-- boxspring, mattress, latex topper, and featherbed and DS2 has never fallen out and the rail stays in place. I love it so much I even take it with us when we travel sometimes. It's softer than a pool noodle and higher too. I think it's worth the price and recommend them to all my friends and doula clients. DS2's crib just broke 3 weeks ago and instead of getting a new one (we're getting a refund) we're probably just going to go with a twin bed and GoBedBug rail.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree the bed bug rails (or a thicker pool noodle) solution would work for most kids. A body pillow does seem like it could take up a lot of space - although something thinner like a Snoogle may work ok.

I don't think there's a risk of suffocation at 2 YO as long as the child can turn or roll away. There is a concern of entrapment if there's a gap between a rail and mattress. (But I'm no medical/safety expert, just what I've heard)

For my DS I was ok w/ the pool noodle vs. the thicker bed bug bc I had a thicker foam tube in his crib toddler bed and he never came close to rolling out. With a rail though I'd be concerned he'd try to climb over it and fall.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

I ordered the gobedbugz travel pack. I figured it would be handy to have them for travel. If they work, we can start using regular hotel beds, too, rather than the pack 'n play. Wish us luck with the big-boy bed! I think we may try it as soon as this weekend. And thanks for all the advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2