Default Please help me choose corner guards and a fireplace guard!

Hi, I am a complete newbie to babyproofing, so I am posting pictures of our double sided fireplace and our sharp corners. What sort of corner protectors would you recommend for the sharp corners that won't leave marks? What about the fireplace--what's the best way of making it safe for our crawler--soon to be walker?

Thanks so much!
    Attached Images Attached Images

anyone??

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I wouldn't bother with the corners on the floor molding. As for the fireplace, can you just wrap your super yard (it looks like you have one) around it, so the baby doesn't have access to the fireplace at all? I think that would easiest. I've tried those wrap around things for coffee tables and they are a total PITA and don't stay on well, so I'm not big into any of those wrap around bumpers.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    I wouldn't bother with the corners on the floor molding. As for the fireplace, can you just wrap your super yard (it looks like you have one) around it, so the baby doesn't have access to the fireplace at all? I think that would easiest. I've tried those wrap around things for coffee tables and they are a total PITA and don't stay on well, so I'm not big into any of those wrap around bumpers.
    Hellokitty--thanks for your input!! Actually, it was my nanny who brought up the fact that we should somehow babyproof the corners because they are sharp...if he crawls up to them and accidentally bumps his head into one of them, it will hurt and depending on the strength of the impact, might even result in a pretty serious bruise. This is all my theoretical speculation though--does your proven experience show that kids learn pretty fast, after doing enough touch and feel, that certain objects, i.e. sharp corners, should be avoided during their crawling explorations??

Quick follow-up question re: putting the superyard in front of the fireplace. We currently have 1 superyard + 1 extension in a closed square shape in the middle of the living room. Are you suggesting that we open it up and block off the fireplace with one side and that way he would access to a larger portion of the room or that we get a separate extension to put just around the fireplace? (my concern is that he will easily be able to move it out of the way to get to the fireplace since it's so light). What about when he starts walking? I am worried that he'll try climbing up on the fireplace....Ahhh...all these first time mom concerns...

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Here's my experience. Yes, my kids have occasionally hit their head on the sharp floor molding before, but it was nothing major and didn't happen that often. Also, my youngest brother was a complete klutz and ran into every.single.corner in my parents' house. My mom went crazy and tried to put up bumpers on every corner, but he still ran into them and the bumpers weren't that great, plus they left residue on the wallpaper. So, for my brother's case it seemed to be a lot of work for not a lot of result, kwim?

And yes, if your fireplace is free standing (that is my understanding, b/c you said it is double sided?), I'd get more extensions and make a circle around your FP to block out the baby. It won't look pretty, but when they are still crawling and learning how to climb, the FP seems to attract babies like magnets and I'd be more worried about him falling off, messing with the internal part of the FP, playing with the gas starter, etc.. than just the corners, kwim?
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    And yes, if your fireplace is free standing (that is my understanding, b/c you said it is double sided?), I'd get more extensions and make a circle around your FP to block out the baby. It won't look pretty, but when they are still crawling and learning how to climb, the FP seems to attract babies like magnets and I'd be more worried about him falling off, messing with the internal part of the FP, playing with the gas starter, etc.. than just the corners, kwim?
    ahhhh, great idea! didn't think of wrapping it around the fireplace (it is double-sided). will try that tonight!